Author Topic: 11 foot "Jerry rigged" finally on the tower  (Read 2566 times)

Devo2

11 foot "Jerry rigged" finally on the tower
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:00:23 PM »
I have finally completed my 11 foot wind genny-it is on a 41 foot tower & has 20 magnets 1 x 2 x.5".It is a  dual rotor machine. 15 coils, 5 per phase.  Each coil 17 gauge 2 in hand 80 turns. Today we have winds up to 25 MPH. I have seen 34 amps into the batteries at 64 volts. The amp gauge on the single phase reads exactly 1/3 the main.  So when each phase is rectified & hits 10 amps they are joined & then show 30 on the main amp meter.   I will show some pics later tonight.Sitting pretty well at 15 to 20 amps steady,60 volts.

Great to be back!

Devo

Devo2

Re: 11 foot "Jerry rigged" finally on the tower
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 09:32:51 PM »
some pics

Devo2

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:34:26 PM »
2 more

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:51:24 AM »
Devo;

Great to see a plan come together!

Looks nicely done.

You rectify up top? How do you split out the current readings? Looks like only 2 wires down?

Just curious on those bits.

Thanks.

Tom

Devo2

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:24:53 AM »
Hey Tom, good to be back- I was reading your tower post.

to answer your questions

I put a 1/2" nut on the end of each coil phase in the resin up top.  I bought a 100 foot length of 12 guage extension cord. & cut it in half giving me 6 cheap wires running up the tower(3 in each) I attached the 2 green inside to phase 1 the blacks to phase 2 & the whites to phase 3. At the bottom I attached a regular 15 amp plug on each end.  I then attached the green wires to the ground prong the white to the light & the black to the gold on every connection.  I also have a small lead with 2 male ends wire the same way so I can unplug the mill from the shed & short it with this lead.

2 more extension cords run from the bottom of the tower into my work shed where there is 3 30 amp rectifiers on an aluminum block. 1 rectifier for each phase(Jerry rigged) the first has 2 green wires the second 2 black & the third 2 white. I take all the positives or negatives through amp meters(I can't remember which side I used) giving a reading on each phases output & then join them together to go through the "main" amp meter giving me the total of all 3 together.

This set up then travels into the battery bank, the other side of the rectifiers is joined & fed straight to the battery bank.

I have a few more pics I have to round up.  I also have a 6/1 listeroid in another shed on veggy oil I may post pics of soon.

Devo

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 09:02:17 AM »
That extension cord stuff is not very UV resistant. 
Even the UV Resistant Outdoor rated extension cord stuff doesn't last very long.  Maybe 12-18 months before the outer insulation gets seriously rotted.
Might consider some heat shrink tubing, or split loom over it for some protection.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 09:12:59 AM »
Devo;

I also use a pair of 3 wire extension cord cable but was bought off a spool. #14 to my Zubbly conversion. I individually rectify the phases on the ground and use a couple grounded outlets & plugs to be able to disconnect and untwist the downlead.

So what looks like 2 "wires" is 2 cables same as mine! Mine is exterior rated cord / cable up 3 years or so and so far no problems but it has faded in color from bright orange to burnt umber color ;D It has worked great

Thanks for the share.

Tom

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 01:35:36 AM »
Depends on how you made the connection with those plugs, but by the way you describe it, your mill will be disconnected for a moment before you short it.  Just beware that once it is open-circuit the volts are much higher than battery voltage.  It also starts speeding up as soon as you disconnect it and the volts at the prongs go up even higher.  That's a high-voltage situation and you MUST plug in the short very quickly.  Don't bump the exposed prongs on your finger, either.  The jolt will make you take even longer to get them plugged together.  All the while the WT is still speeding up while you stand directly below...

If you have a DPDT switch, you can wire two of the phases on the two poles at the center position of the switch, and the third phase wire to a pole that is NO and jumper to the other pole that is NO.  When you throw the switch, the two phases on the center position both contact the third phase on the NO poles, shorting all of them.  There are other ways to do this, such as with a 3-pole switch, but you get the idea.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca