Author Topic: Window air conditioner for heating?  (Read 2066 times)

Bullony13

Window air conditioner for heating?
« on: November 20, 2005, 04:09:01 AM »
I have natural gas forced air heat in my house, and to save money I will often turn it way down and just heat up the room I'm in with a small electric heater. Today I finally got around to putting away my window air conditioner, when I got an idea.

I know that heat pumps are much more efficient for electric heat than a resistive element. Would it be possible to turn a small 5000 BTU window air conditioner into a miniature heat pump? I mean, I'd have to highly modify it of course, but how would the heat output compare to a normal electric space heater?

Basically, if I just installed the air conditioner backwards, would I get 5000 BTUs of heat from a 5000 BTU air conditioner? If that's the case I would get over 8 BTU/watt rather than the normal 3.4 BTU/watt for resistive heaters.

I know, I have way too much free time. :-)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 04:09:01 AM by (unknown) »

Nando

Re: Window air conditioner for heating?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 09:15:28 PM »
Yes, You have too much free time. Indeed !!.

It is possible but the system has to be done from the beginning for such service.

Nando

« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 09:15:28 PM by Nando »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Window air conditioner for heating?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 09:21:29 PM »
I thought about it too, and don't see any reason it wouldn't work if it were just turned around in the window.

Seems like that would be a far better heating dump load than a resistive element.

Thought about the 'hot' coils in water, pumped under the basement floor or where ever, for radiant heating for a more efficient storage of heat for moderate outside temperatures during windy times, AND even more improved efficiency of the heat pump unit.

I think the idea has merit.

Then again, I don't know anything about it.

G-

« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 09:21:29 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller