Author Topic: Earth sheltered homes  (Read 29322 times)

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
Re: Earth sheltered homes
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »
IR film is cheap as are 35mm as are  cameras t should give you on indication of where your losses are. It has been about 35 yrs ago that i played with it. I used IR color film, had to keep it refrigerated. As i recall peoples faces were green. It is fun to play with. 
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

jlsoaz

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2011, 09:48:36 PM »
IR film is cheap as are 35mm as are  cameras t should give you on indication of where your losses are. It has been about 35 yrs ago that i played with it. I used IR color film, had to keep it refrigerated. As i recall peoples faces were green. It is fun to play with. 

Thanks, good to know.  I just did a bit of poking around and it looks like color infrared film is now almost impossible to get.  For example:

http://www.tarquinius.de/

"...120 Medium Format - FOR SALE  TO BUY  FOR SALE

Aug 27 2011

I have a very limited supply of film available. Please just write me a mail if you are interested.

We are coming to the end of all availability. I will try to get any stock I come across.

This is fresh 2011 Kodak Aerochrome lll Color Infrared Film which has been cut down and rolled to 120 medium format.  The film has been discontinued by Kodak, so this is the last Color Infrared Film that was ever produced.

Black and white infrared film seems a bit more available. 

I don't really know if it's true that color infrared film is being discontinued globally, that's just the first bit of indication that I got.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 01:25:57 AM »
Because at least initially you don't even know what you are looking for, and what you have will not be calibrated to actual temperatures, I would urge you to get/hire/borrow/beg a calibrated digital IR camera and if possible an experienced person wielding it.

Though I found some stuff when I borrowed a nice new digital IR camera:

1) I found most stuff by waving the camera around and finding stuff that looked interesting on the screen, live, then looked at the automatic temperature scale to see just how problematic it likely was.

2) I still missed a bunch of stuff until I hired a professional with his own camera who pushed it a lot harder.

Thus, I think you'll get very little value from a roll or two of IR film in an SLR.

Rgds

Damon

KraigM

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 10:22:07 AM »
It seems like the IR cameras are pretty popular with builders and contractors. I would think even window replacement companies would use them to show how poor your old windows are. You shouldn't have a problem finding someone with one and you could probably even find someone willing to do it for a deal.
Kraig -living off the grid

alcul8r

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 11:29:04 PM »
We owned and lived in an underground house for about 2 years. It was designed and built by an engineer for his parents.

It had about 1800 Sq Ft and attached garage, also underground.

The only real con to living there is needing a dehumidifier in the spring. The house had more than a hundred tons of concrete which was cooler than outside temps, resulting in condensation.

About the first of the year, our heater went off. It was at least 2 weeks before we noticed it, because the south-facing windows and sun room kept us about 65 degrees even though some nights were 10 degrees F. We normally kept the house at 65.

Around the Fourth of July, I blew the breaker to the A/C using an air compressor in the garage. We did not notice it for about three days, and only then because we were doing some heavy-duty cooking and the kitchen got warm. There were a couple of 100 deg days during that time.

The cons to buying or building such a house involve it being a different type of construction. Nobody builds them to sell, they build them to live in. Therefore, appraisers can't find comparable houses to match, so bankers will not loan money to build or buy them. Architects can also be stupid about designing them. One insisted on putting windows in my bedroom, presumably so I could watch the worms tunnel past.

jlsoaz

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 10:37:16 AM »
Perhaps because I live only partly underground, and in Arizona, I haven't had the humidity problems nor quite the degree of advantages in heating and cooling reported by alcul8r, though indeed the house seems comparatively cool in summer and warm in winter, but it is hard to say exactly. 

One issue of note is that I have to open the windows (there are some).  The air quality is poor.  There's no way i could have a gas heater since it would be an immediate health danger.  I got some testing done on the house a few months ago by one of those local utility efficiency programs and he didn't bring an IR camera but he did do a blower test and said it was the tightest house he'd ever seen, and that if I had gas cooking or heating he'd have to call it an immediate health concern.

After that I bought one of these CO2 detectors

http://www.instrumart.com/products/33731/amprobe-co2-200-co2-monitor

and I plugged it in and the alarm went off within a few hours.  It was set at the factory at 1000 PPM.  That may or may not be a bit low, but I found it useful to get a confirmation on something I'd suspected but couldn't prove.  Since then it has gone off a few more times, always cleared up by a change in habits doing more to crack windows at appropriate times and keep the internal doors more open.

jlsoaz

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2012, 10:42:10 AM »
[...]
The cons to buying or building such a house involve it being a different type of construction. Nobody builds them to sell, they build them to live in. Therefore, appraisers can't find comparable houses to match, so bankers will not loan money to build or buy them. Architects can also be stupid about designing them. One insisted on putting windows in my bedroom, presumably so I could watch the worms tunnel past.

I think it is useful to read of some experiences folks have in financing, where they are willing to share.  I paid a low price and expect to get a low price if I were ever sell.  From what very little I've seen, I think it looks correct that banks often seem to have issues in and around this type of thing.  Insurance companies also.  Since my terra-dome is technically a "dome" home, they assumed this meant geodesic dome and that the roof would leak at the joints... that type of thing.