Author Topic: Faucet lights anyone?  (Read 4759 times)

Shadow

Faucet lights anyone?
« on: January 05, 2007, 04:48:11 AM »
I took a chance awhile back and ordered a couple faucet lights. Thats right, they are a little LED light attachment with a couple button batteries that you attach to your water faucet. As soon as you turn the tap on it lights up the water a pretty blue. It started out as a novelty, but its actually turned out to be quite handy. If the kids leave a tap on its easily visible, and at night if you need a glass of water just turn on the tap , it lights up the sink so no other light needs to be on.

Also , from the same company I ordered a Levitron. It is a spinning top with a Neo magnet, and Cherrywood base. You spin the top on a wooden cup on the base they lift it up, pull the cup away and the top continues to hover in mid air! Its the coolest thing!It takes a bit to master it but once you do,you cant leave it alone. I was impressed with the quality, it makes a great desk ornament.

Heres a link if anyones interested,

http://www.sciencetoystore.com/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d26.html

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 04:48:11 AM by (unknown) »

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: Faucet lights anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:07:43 PM »
That would look cool in the shower, use red in winter and blue in summer

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:07:43 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 11:24:18 PM »
now that would take it to a whole new level--makin out with the old lady in the shower.      

:}
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:24:18 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 08:17:57 AM »
Hmmm, I would not want the RED myself, I have seen to many of those odd horror movies with blood comming out of the faucet. NO red water for me, thanks anyway! :)

I sounds neat though.

If you build your own it might be cool too. Keep it sanitary though.

Maybe a little stepper type motor in the line for water powered LEDS.

Maybe UV leds to purifie the water also?

There are UV water purifiers out there being sold, not sure if using a few UV LEDS on a faucet would do anything though really but should not hurt.

Great, now the wife will kill me when she comes home and finds holes drilled in all the faucets tonight :)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 08:17:57 AM by nothing to lose »

Shadow

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 08:41:57 AM »
 These are built so the water passes around the light and battery assembly. No water ever touches anything. There are two tiny stainless contacts on the side, as the water passes over the contacts it completes the circuit to turn on the light.I believe blue is the only available color unless you change it yourself.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 08:41:57 AM by Shadow »

cyplesma

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 03:16:59 PM »
I've played with the levitron before (packaged differently then what's on the site you listed), lost all the pieces eventually, but yes I was able to get the top to levitate.

It usually wouldn't last for more then 3 minutes.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 03:16:59 PM by cyplesma »

desertcoyote

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 08:42:39 PM »
Next step, just get a commercial motion sensing auto-faucet (like at the air ports and such), with the illuminated water jet and no more kid problem, better yet, scrap the blue water and install an area battery powered occupancy sensor that controls an white LED. An old architect told me that it is good for your brain to stumble around in the dark, but, I would like stumbling around in the dark optional, specially when unzipping fast enough is the highest priority at the moment. I stumble around in the dark enough, walking in the desert on a moonless, clear night, well is sufficient to not need any flashlight. Careful in the summer as the rattle snakes, but they usually see me way before I see them.

That old architect(75), tripped one light on a parking lot bumper and got a good knock on the head. Maybe that is good for the brain also.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 08:42:39 PM by desertcoyote »

terry5732

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 11:16:34 PM »
I saw an ad a while back for showerhead ones. I thought the ad said that they GENERATED their power from the water stream.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 11:16:34 PM by terry5732 »

jmk

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 06:42:18 AM »
 I had to buy one. The shower head would be kool! It would be neat if it changed from blue to red as the water got hot.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 06:42:18 AM by jmk »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 08:45:06 AM »
Please give us a report when you get it set up.  I'm thinking about it but I'd like to know more about the visibility of it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 08:45:06 AM by RP »

jmk

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 06:10:31 PM »
 I got mine and hooked it up, looks pretty kool! The things that I don't like about it is it is made with whimpy thin plastic, it takes up a couple of inches of room, and it doesn't want to shut off.  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 06:10:31 PM by jmk »

twombo

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 02:10:05 PM »
Red really doesn't really bother me so much... It's the grey stuff like in "Psycho"!! That scares the "bejesus" outta' me!!

Mike

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 02:10:05 PM by twombo »

turboredcart

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 07:57:49 AM »
My brother had one. They are awesome!!!

I looked at the store. Im interested in any links you have. Ild like to build an LED wall, but dont know enuff about it yet.

Cool site!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 07:57:49 AM by turboredcart »