Author Topic: 30wattPVC  (Read 2046 times)

koolmart

30wattPVC
« on: August 13, 2005, 12:06:53 AM »
This is my first attempt at hydro using the old motor from my first genny.

Its a panasonic 90vdc geat motor with brushes. The  pvc blades are cut from 2inchpipe? screwed into an aluminum spool 4inx3in. that is attached to the very short shaft of the motor. The turbine is set into an irrigation ditch with a flow of about 100gpm+.6-8foot of head.  this comes off a yearround stream with substantial flow. Its putting out about 30watts at about 180rpm. problem is the turbine must be manually adjusted to the water level of the ditch. local farmers adjust the level periodically thru the summer. its been running now for 3 days with no problems.but I anticipate damaging/losing the unit some rainy night. does anyone have any ideas forthat and/or attaching props/turbines to the very small shafts of dc motors? this seems to be my biggest problem, my props from my old gennys usually fail at the shaft first. Thanks,

Martin

« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 12:06:53 AM by (unknown) »

koolmart

Re: 30wattPVC
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 06:11:26 PM »
Ooops, sorry bout the last pic, really
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 06:11:26 PM by koolmart »

Nando

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 06:59:19 PM »
Martin:

I need to be short with the message.

You need to Dam the channel ( I have done many times)

The Wheel needs more blades, about 12 to 18 blades, so increase the diameter to about the height of the channel.

Build a DAM, 3 or 4 yards in front of the wheel placement, to fill the water to about 2/3 height and from there make a channel going down to the Wheel -- The wheel the width of the bottom of the channel -- make sure that the built channel sides height is good enough to carry all the water without spilling.

You may obtain around 100 watts, if the water volume is good enough, couple the wheel to the generator via a belt multiplier that could be around the outer diameter or the wheel and the generator pulley to give 5 to 10 times the Wheel RPM at the generator.

You could seal the side of the wheel to keep all the water hitting the Wheel.

We have made around 20 to 40 units getting power in the water channels, one owner made 15 Wheels giving him about 2 KW about 5 or 6 years ago.

I am traveling but if you need help send messages after the 22 of the present, I may take several days since I will have a procedure done the 23 o 24 of the present.

Regards

Nando

« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 06:59:19 PM by Nando »

koolmart

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 08:08:22 PM »
Nando,

Thanks so much for the help. Luckily there is a basin and area for a dam just up from the unit!!! I'll try to get it vertical and increase the wheel size and blades. Thanks again, good luck with your procedure, hope all is well.

Martin

« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 08:08:22 PM by koolmart »

pyrocasto

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 01:47:02 AM »
Making the wheel bigger is better for when bigger water comes, but depending on the voltage you may have to belt it up or something. Looks like a nice little unit and you're making 1 hp a day basically. :-)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 01:47:02 AM by pyrocasto »

Experimental

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 11:04:31 AM »
       Hi Marty,

I really envy you on this, haveing water flow like that is great !!

I would suggest, you enclose the vane, kind of like a heater fan on a car, but open at both ends on the down stream side only, so water flows down the active side of the blades. and back out -- perhaps you could add a couple foot long tube, to the incomeing side,angled down into the sream, and  mount the whole thing vertically ,above the covered area over the stream -- this would keep water off your gen, and prevent emersion !!

Lots of work, but not that difficult -- (easy for me to say) Looks to me like what you have is going to be worth while -- And a brushless gen, in the future as you will be surprised how quickly those brushes go away, at 24 -- 7  of spinning !!

Nice, Bill H......
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 11:04:31 AM by Experimental »