Author Topic: Need ideas for hydro power(locked)  (Read 1452 times)

superdave14

Need ideas for hydro power(locked)
« on: March 21, 2009, 11:59:26 AM »
I'm working on a project in my back yard.  What i have is a 1/4 acre lot with a backyard that has a hill, drops down about 15 feet and i have a good 50 foot wide.  What im planning to do is step the entire hill, kind of like a Chinese rice field put into the side of a large hill.  What i also am doing is adding a waterfall that will go through the middle of it, closed system rocks and plastic lining with a return pond at the bottom and fill pond at the top.  My question is, is there any type of system i could put in place to gain energy from the waterfall?  Would it be good enough to run at the very least the pump, or would the net gain not be worth the effort?

Thanks

overunity
Kurt
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 11:59:26 AM by (unknown) »

kurt

• website
Re: Need ideas for hydro power
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 06:49:07 AM »
that would be what is called overunity and defies the laws of physics if you want to argue the laws of physics this is not the board for you because discussion of overunity devises is strictly prohibited here...

you will never get more power out of the water than the power you put into it pumping it up the hill and do to various conversion losses you will get allot less.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 06:49:07 AM by kurt »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Need ideas for hydro power
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 06:56:02 AM »
I layman's terms no, the net gain would be at best 10% of pump input (a guess), friction losses of the water falling over various ornamental object uses up most of the energy.

If you wished to include a small water turbine as part of the water path and run a few LED's then yes it is possible, but would never recover the power required to pump the water. But be warned! should you follow this path you may become addicted to making power.

allan down under

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 06:56:02 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.