Author Topic: Long distance hydro, part 2  (Read 1599 times)

chipbb

Long distance hydro, part 2
« on: February 26, 2005, 03:16:19 PM »
I have remeasured the distance between the house and the proposed pelton wheel and found it to be more like 3000' away. The total head is 40'± and the flow will be approximately 100 GPM,,,,, although in the dead of summer it will probably drop off to around 20 GPM. Is this still doable,, and does anyone know what the best wheel will be for these conditions?

Thanks again

Chip
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 03:16:19 PM by (unknown) »

Nando

Re: Long distance hydro, part 2
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 10:06:50 AM »
With such water volume variation, it seems that a Banki maybe the logical solution.

I DO NOT SUGGEST A PELTON, a Vertical Turgo is a possibility.

You need a carefull analysis -- 460 to 90 watts (real around 430 to 60 Watts).

My suggestion is a high voltage generator, 240 Volts AC like a 1.5 HP induction motor as a generator, or a PM 3 phase brushless Smart Drive motor from Fisher & Paykel with two set ups, DELTA for high power and STAR for low power and transformers at the load to bring the voltage to the charger ( I suggest a C40)

Let me know your plans and maybe I can help you -- where are you located ?.

If you use an AC induction motor, we could test a prototype ELC( Electronic Level Controller) to regulate the AC output voltage level.

Regards

Nando

« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 10:06:50 AM by Nando »

chipbb

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 11:31:42 AM »
Nando,

Thanks.  I value your input.

I live in Moultonboro, NH ( the foothills of the White Mountains ). I plan to begin this project later this summer, barring the usual setbacks associated with the normal building process. I welcome any and all advice you are willing to part with.

Thanks again

Chip
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 11:31:42 AM by chipbb »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 01:14:37 PM »
I agree with Nando's advice, if you are going to build your own turbine the Banki is the only reasonable option. If you can find a Turgo it will be fine. A pelton would also work if you happened to come on one but its specific speed is rather lower and you would need a needle regulator nozzle to handle the variation in flow.

I think a permanent magnet alternator will be more efficient than an induction motor but the induction motor is fairly self regulating with a capacitor chosen to run near saturation.

Something like the F & P or a dual rotor alternator with lots of poles will give a higher frequency and reduce transformer size and cost.

Use at least 240v for that cable run.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 01:14:37 PM by Flux »

mcgivor

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 12:41:40 PM »
Can you move your water closer? Pvc pipe is cheaper to move the water closer to the demand point of the power.  With a 100gpm and a 40' of head it seems that you have some room to compensate for water flow/ head loss.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 12:41:40 PM by mcgivor »

scottsAI

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 08:53:53 PM »
Wondering how this project is going.

If you would like to talk, email me, use lower case.

Have fun.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 08:53:53 PM by scottsAI »