Author Topic: Change a 36 VDC motor into DC generator  (Read 5383 times)

Sunour

Change a 36 VDC motor into DC generator
« on: February 04, 2005, 09:48:00 AM »
I have an idea to make an undershot paddlewheel electric generator from the axle and motor from an old golfcart. I need to know what it will take to make a generator from the 36 vdc motor.

It doesnt even have to output 36 vdc. It will be used to maintain a charge on a 12 volt nominal battery bank. Even if all I get is as little as 3 amps @ 13 volts of charge at the battery, that will be there 24/7. I figure with the; right paddle diameter, speed of the water, right gear set, length of wire run, and some resistors I can accomplish at least that much. What I dont know for sure is how to convert my 36 vdc golfcart motor into a generator.

Does anyone out there know how to accomplish this? If so, would you share your knowledge with me? It would be appreciated. I will be more than happy to share my results once I have the system running.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 09:48:00 AM by (unknown) »

drdongle

Re: Change a 36 VDC motor into DC generator
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 05:28:01 AM »
Golf cart motors are usually series or compound wound motors and not suitable for use as generators, particularly in R.E. situations. The high current requirements for energizing the field coil ( which are part of the series circuit) are a problem.

Sorry

« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 05:28:01 AM by drdongle »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 06:04:14 AM »
If you already have the golf cart gear and are willing to sacrifice it, don't give up immediately.  Check whether you can tear apart the motor and remove the field coils and pole pieces, substituting permanent magnets.  (Whether you can will depend on the geometry and construction of the motor frame/stator.)

The rotor might also be iffy, if wound for too low a voltage/rpm tradeoff.  It might need rewinding, and if so you might find the original wind was busbar welded to the commutator before its individual segments were cut apart.  If that's the case rewinding might be difficult - both getting the wind into the slots designed for the bussbar and getting it connected to the commutator without destroying its shape by melting the insulating/supporting structure.

So I wouldn't go buy even junkyard gulf cart parts to try it (unless somebody else reports success and gives a description).  But if you have a dead golf cart or a golf cart motor you were about to dump anyhow it won't hurt to tear it up for examination before throwing in the towel (and probably throwing out the pieces).

« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 06:04:14 AM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Sunour

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 04:23:32 AM »
Thanks guys, thats what I was needing to know. It is series wound. I suspected there might be a problem because I wasnt seeing anyone else on these "homebrewed" electricity web sites using them. It is a junker given too me so I will fool around with it. If for no other reason than to have fun. Back to the drawing board. Perhaps I will adapt a vdc generator to the pinion in place of the golfcart motor. I am determined to make an undershot paddlewheel driven generator though.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 04:23:32 AM by Sunour »

hump

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 08:32:09 AM »
I have a Permanent Magnet motor that I will trade you for that golf-cart axle/motor.

I want it to build an electric go-kart/atv  for my kids.

I'm in NY and will pay shipping for both items.

Thanks,

Hump

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 08:32:09 AM by hump »