Author Topic: Solar Tube skylights for night time use!!!  (Read 5313 times)

ja2tn

Solar Tube skylights for night time use!!!
« on: August 15, 2005, 01:31:03 PM »
I have two solar tube type skylights that I am planning on installing in my house.  I know that they are GREAT for daytime lighting - have SEVERAL customers that have them in their homes and... WOW they really produce an abundant amount of light even on overcast days.  Anyway, here is my thought...

In the literature for these lights they offer a night time kit that places an incandescent light bulb holder inside the tube so that you can turn it on at night.  Because of the polished mirror finish of the tube you can get a good light from a smaller bulb.  With this in mind I am considering making a ring of clear LED's to put into my tubes to do the same thing with but with WAY less power consumption.  OK, what do you guy's think??  Anyone done this??  Also where is a good supplier of good quality LED's??  I don't want to buy cheap crap!

Thanks,

Jerry in Tennessee mountains

« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 01:31:03 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Solar Tube skylights for night time use!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 07:54:47 AM »
You will get more light with less power from a small CFL, than a bunch of LEDs.

G-
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 07:54:47 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 09:03:22 AM »
I agree with G-

Since the mirrors are for reflecting the light and LEDs are more for direct lighting, I would go with one of the newer small 7 - 15 watt CFLs these will put out the light in a 3D to make maximum use of the mirrors.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 09:03:22 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

cdg378

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 09:24:43 AM »
Uhm, led's 2.5 volts, about a 1/4 amp per 10 (10 put out very useful light) and 100,000 hours plus lifespan, cheap to buy in bulk, cat 5 wiring (1 pair of 4 wires) can carry 20 led's or 1/2 amp.

Now add this into the equation, nicd's or nimh's batteries, rated at 1.2 volts per cell and can be recharged even on cloudy days in a short period of time with 4 volt solar cells, ebay cells, 8 of them put out 4 volts and 3 amps.

"D" cell nimh's can be had in 1.2 volt 10 amp ratings, so 2 small batteries can power those led's a long time and may last about 3 years.

4 10 led arrays consume about 1 amp, with just 2 D cells that's 10 hours of light, on an average night you wouldn't deplete the cells capacity.

Do the math on 100,000 hours in relation to your usage...thats alot of burn time you won't get with cfl's.

Building the panels yourself is easy, their small.

1. leds 6.00
  2. batteries 10 - 12.00

solar panel 20.00 (Pricing will vary depending on source)

150' cat 5 10.00 (Carries 4 lights)

In 100,000 hours of light you only need to replace the batteries when they fail.

Sounds like a bargain to me!

In the setup I have now, I get the battery banks topped up even on cloudy days.

12v cfl's would require much more cost, beefier wiring, solar, batteries, etc.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 09:24:43 AM by cdg378 »