Remote Living > Lighting

emergency lighting

(1/2) > >>

bob golding:
hi all

its cold, getting dark, i am out of diesel and its xmas day. garage closed till monday batteries getting low,needed some light. so heres what i just did . took the battery out of my laptop and connected my 18 led array to it. it works. dont know for how long but it  should help me preserve my  batteries till i can get some diesel.  merry xmas all.
bob golding

sh123469:
Probably won't last all that long.  Laptop batteries are usually only 1.5 to 3 ah depending on the laptop.
I wish you the best with your situation, though.  Maybe someone will be open close to you that has diesel for the gennie.  I hope this  situation isn't wreaking havoc with your ability to keep warm.
Merry Christmas
Steve

bob golding:
thx fine on the keeping warm. got wood and propane. think i will survive. got a cold as well just to add to to the fun (:- could drag the gasoline genny out but too much hassle.

skravlinge:
Its xmas, you must have some candles around, to get light some warming and the feeling of the holy day. During a powerloss for 20 hours I heat and light the house with candles. (The funny thing i found I cant  circulate the hot water from my woodstove without  power, I will do some about it).

Ungrounded Lightning Rod:
When my wife was in college her dad ran the Diesel Rabbit out of fuel in the boonies one day.  She salvaged the situation by feeding it a few galons of vegetable oil from a local store cut with a quart of tranny fluid (to insure it wouldn't gum up the injectors, if I recall correctly).
You wouldn't want to do this as a regular thing.  But it's OK in a pinch.  And you can often find a convenience store with salad oil (and sometimes tranny fluid) available when you can't find a filling station with diesel.  Or you may have a couple containers of it sitting in your pantry.
I hear Diesel DID originally intend the engine to be run on veggie oil, after all...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version