Author Topic: A Lighting System for Today  (Read 4764 times)

alcul8r

A Lighting System for Today
« on: April 01, 2006, 12:56:51 PM »
I was disappointed to learn that solar collectors would only convert about 14% of the sunlight to electricity.  When this is coupled with 80% efficiency for a battery and around 90% for an inverter, a 100% efficient light bulb is still only giving off around 10% of the sunlight powering it.

Overall efficiency and high cost gave me the push I needed to look for better ways to light my house, one of the big energy users in my household.  I considered just using the light pipes coupled with skylights, but they did not work out for storage mediums.  Stretched out straight they did OK, but had limited volume.  If I curled them around, the wrinkles seemed to trap light.  It was pretty astonishing, but as always, there is a simple explanation.  As the light bounces back and forth in the chamber, some photons are bound to be canceled out by resonance, just like two sound waves interfering with each other.  Big wrinkles would trap and cancel some of the longer wavelengths, and the smaller ones would bounce shorter wavelengths back and forth until all of that particular wavelength was canceled out.  One chamber, if left undisturbed for about an hour, would give back a pure emerald green.  Unfortunately, even the canceled photons turned to heat, and I burned it up trying to save light for St Patrick's Day last year.

The answer, of course, was to build a chamber with no wrinkles, and it turned out easier than you might expect.  A sphere was out of the question, because no matter how big you make it, there will be a harmonic of some wavelengths with resultant resonant cancellation.  I ended up with the most common of storage chambers, a 55 gallon drum.  The inside is lined with the best shiny mylar I could find, but I think the cost will be justified within a few months.  The grooves separating the upper and lower thirds from the center even have their purpose, sending light that was just going back and forth scurrying to another part of the drum and keeping wavelength cancellation to a minimum.  

If I let the light set in storage too long, I not only lose significant fractions, but it develops an unhealthy-looking pink cast.  Probably that is selective absorption by the mylar, or, it could be my eyes after a long night....  It's been a long row, but I think I now have a usable system.

Some of the traps I got caught in:

Don't try to store too much light.  Those photons do have pressure.  To capture a full day's light, your collector mouth should be no more than 10% of the wall area of your storage chamber.

The fancy LCD shutter thingys did not work.  They are dark when turned off and burn up from the absorbed light.  A simple sliding first-surface mirror worked much better as a gate valve, although it is a bear to adjust.  I finally set up a servo arrangement with a photocell and wheatstone bridge to keep the light delivery constant as the level in the storage chamber dropped.  Of course some people are going to use computers and such, but my way does work.

IR filters should be used first thing to keep the hot light out of the chamber.  I know it is a big expense, but it needs to be done.  

I used two one-way mirrors to trap the light, one at the mouth of the collector funnel and one at the throat to the storage chamber.  One allowed too much leakage, and three absorbed too much of my incoming light.

Tracking is not critical for the collector, as you might imagine.  I just built a rough tracker using the differential pressure of two black propane bottles and it works fine.  Remember if you do this the ram has to have the same area on each side to balance out.  The easiest way to do this is to find a hydraulic or pneumatic cylinder that has a ram coming from each end, not just one.  Don't be stingy, here.  Replace the seals and lap the ram and lubricate it well.  I know the propane is cheap, but you could lose pressure in one side of the tracker, not notice it, and have no light to make supper with.

If you decide to go for more efficiency and sputter a gold coating in your chamber, do not try to use a steel drum for the vacuum chamber.  You can waste $20 worth of gold that way real easy.

A small mirror hung from a thread can direct the incoming light tangentially around the drum so it does not get in a rut.  That thread has to be shiny so it does not heat up.

I only have rough estimates to work with, but have guesstimated the whole system is about 60% efficient with another 1% or so per hour of storage.  Without some calculus it would be hard to evaluate, and I have no way of knowing how much light I fail to collect due to increasing photometric pressure in the evenings.

As always, have fun with it and let us know how your projects are turning out.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 12:56:51 PM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: A Lighting System for Today
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 06:25:08 AM »
Good thought about keeping the hot light out with IR filters. Still - it sounds quite dangerous should the lid accidently come lose.

I wonder if this is how 'photon torpedos' work...?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 06:25:08 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

kitno455

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 06:46:17 AM »
i have been working on such a system myself using mylar bags. i find that having air in the drum already was taking up too much space that the light could have used. i tried evacuating the drum, but the turbopump i have in the attic is actually capable of distorting the clear lid until it leaks. so i switched to the bags. they were kind of expensive, so now i spray-paint the inside of white trashbags with silver paint. works just as well as the mylar bags.

my latest change is to add a lense to the inlet. you do have to put a convex mirror inside the bag, otherwise you will get a hotspot near the openning that tends to lift the paint.

the 'redelivery' system turned out to be the easiest part. these things are in my attic, so i just put a 3 inch hole in the ceiling under each bag, and stapled a sort of reed valve of aluminum flashing there. hook a small weight to the end of the valve, and the light comes right out, thru an unpainted spot in the bag. the white plastic makes a nice diffuser.

do we need to explain april fools to some of our international readers? :)

allan

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 06:46:17 AM by kitno455 »

Nando

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 06:56:49 AM »
Happy April Fools...

The Taco Liberty Bell

In 1996, the Taco Bell Corporation announced that it had bought the Liberty Bell from the federal government and was renaming it the Taco Liberty Bell. Hundreds of outraged citizens called up the National Historic Park in Philadelphia where the bell is housed to express their anger. Their nerves were only calmed when Taco Bell revealed that it was all a practical joke a few hours later. The best line inspired by the affair came when White House press secretary Mike McCurry was asked about the sale, and he responded that the Lincoln Memorial had also been sold, though to a different corporation, and would now be known as the Ford Lincoln Mercury Memorial.

Instant Color TV

In 1962, there was only one TV channel in Sweden and it broadcast in black and white. The station's technical expert, Kjell Stensson, appeared on the news to announce that thanks to a newly developed technology, all viewers could now quickly and easily convert their existing sets to display color reception. All they had to do was pull a nylon stocking over their TV screen and they would begin to see their favorite shows in color. Stensson then proceeded to demonstrate the process. Reportedly, hundreds of thousands of people, out of the population of seven million, were taken in. Actual color TV transmission only commenced in Sweden on April 1, 1970.

San Serriffe

In 1977, the British newspaper, The Guardian, published a special seven page supplement in honor of the tenth anniversary of San Serriffe, a small republic located in the Indian Ocean consisting of several semi-colon-shaped islands. A series of articles affectionately described the geography and culture of this obscure nation. Its two main islands were named Upper Caisse and Lower Caisse. Its capital was Bodoni, and its leader was General Pica. The Guardian's phones rang all day as readers sought more information about the idyllic holiday spot. Few noticed that everything about the island was named after printer's terminology. The success of this hoax is widely credited with launching the enthusiasm for April Foolery that then gripped the British tabloids in the following decades.

Nixon for President

In 1992, National Public Radio's Talk of the Nation program announced that Richard Nixon, in a surprise move, was running for president again. His new campaign slogan was, "I didn't do anything wrong and I won't do it again." Accompanying this announcement were audio clips of Nixon delivering his candidacy speech. Listeners responded viscerally to the announcement, flooding the show with calls expressing shock and outrage. Only during the second half of the show did the host John Hockenberry reveal that the announcement was a practical joke. Nixon's voice was impersonated by comedian Rich Little.

The Left Handed Whopper

In 1998, Burger King published a full page advertisement in USA Today announcing the introduction of a new item to their menu: a "Left Handed Whopper" specially designed for the 32 million left handed Americans. According to the advertisement, the new whopper included the same ingredients as the original Whopper (lettuce, tomato, hamburger patty, etc.), but all the condiments were rotated 180 degrees for the benefit of their left handed customers. The following day Burger King issued a follow up release revealing that although the Left Handed Whopper was a hoax, thousands of customers had gone into restaurants to request the new sandwich. Simultaneously, according to the press release, "many others requested their own 'right handed' version."

UFO Lands in London

On March 31, 1989, thousands of motorists driving on the highway outside London looked up in the air to see a glowing flying saucer descending on their city. Many of them pulled to the side of the road to watch the bizarre craft float through the air. The saucer finally landed in a field on the outskirts of London where local residents immediately called the police to warn them of an alien invasion. Soon the police arrived on the scene and one brave officer approached the craft with his truncheon extended before him. When a door in the craft popped open and a small, silver-suited figure emerged, the policeman ran in the opposite direction. The saucer turned out to be a hot air balloon that had been specially built to look like a UFO by Richard Branson, the 36-year-old chairman of Virgin Records. The stunt combined his passion for ballooning with his love of pranks. His plan was to land the craft in London's Hyde Park on April 1. Unfortunately, the wind blew him off course and he was forced to land a day early in the wrong location.

Whistling Carrots

In 2002, the British supermarket chain Tesco published an advertisement in The Sun announcing the successful development of a genetically modified 'whistling carrot.' The ad explained that the carrots had been specially engineered to grow with tapered airholes in their side. When fully cooked, these airholes caused the vegetable to whistle.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 06:56:49 AM by Nando »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 07:43:03 AM »
sir you are a cruel person

after dans reply i went back and reread it ( also a cruel person)

thats a half an hour i'll never get back

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 07:43:03 AM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 08:40:32 AM »
HaHa, time in a bottle? Not like you can tank up on time and save it really.

Just had to say it. It got me before my morning coffee so I found myself rereading it a couple times too.

T

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 08:40:32 AM by TomW »

BruceDownunder

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 09:01:17 AM »
Got me 2 .

I was thinking, "What's this wanker talking about ?".

(it's april 2nd here)

BDU

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 09:01:17 AM by BruceDownunder »

dinges

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 09:45:49 AM »
Yes...

My real problem is, that I see these kinds of posts or have this kind of talk about every day of the year :)

Peter.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 09:45:49 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

dinges

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 09:46:43 AM »
I wonder how Trizzybob is doing, BTW. So far I haven't read anything about it in the newspaper <evil grin>
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 09:46:43 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 09:50:53 AM »
My system used a flywheel of pvc pipe coated on the inside with silver, the collector was a simple solar funnel. It seemed to work well but I finally had to dismantle it because I could never figure out one problem... the light would always come out backwards.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 09:50:53 AM by zap »

wdyasq

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 10:04:11 AM »
I had similar thoughts Peter.

Ron

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 10:04:11 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 10:28:17 AM »
Maybe he's trying to figure out what to do with all that power now that the days are getting longer??!! : )

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 10:28:17 AM by zap »

stop4stuff

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 12:28:48 PM »
lol...

Why go to all that bother...

Man has been storing sunlight to be released at a later date for centuries, and a tasty, high calorie food is a byproduct.

Sun shines on plants, plants grow flowers, bees collect nectar, bees store nectar as honey in a wax structure, we use the wax for candles and eat the bees' honey :)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 12:28:48 PM by stop4stuff »

commanda

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 02:03:45 PM »
My all-time favourite is still the "solar-powered torch" project published by one of our local (Australian)electronics magazines a few years ago, when they're publication date happened to to coincide with April 1st.

Amanda

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 02:03:45 PM by commanda »

ruddycrazy

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 02:23:37 PM »
This post seems to remind me of that new invention called instant water you just add water and stir
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 02:23:37 PM by ruddycrazy »

nothing to lose

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2006, 09:44:44 PM »
Hey Nando.

Normally you have alot of great info on the subject at hand and I love to read your posts, kinda off topic on this one aren't we. I thought certainly somewhere you had some more info on this Barrel storage thing to capture light.

I got almost all the parts here. Barrels, potato chips bags for shiney mylar, pvc sewer pipe too, will the green stuff work ok or should I use the grey electrical instead. I could get white but in smaller sizes I think.

If I put a barrel over each room of the trailer would that be better than if I used one large barrel and piped it to each room as needed.

Do I have to worry about over charging the barrels if I don't use all the captured sun each night, or will the barrels simply hold the photons to the barrels own levels?

What about extra storage, should I maybe alough for 3 days use in case of no sun, storms etc like with other systems.

Well this sounds great to me anyway. I am a night bug often, I sleep alot durring the day and on computer or working on stuff more at night. Storing un-needed daylight for night time use should really cut down my power bill!

If I store enough this way, could I run the computer direct from the stored light then with solar pannels and remove the batteries? Or would stripping out the IR to remove heat also prevent the pannels from working?

Nothing To Lose

Yea, ok I know, but someone needed to bite on it right :)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 09:44:44 PM by nothing to lose »

richhagen

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 12:14:58 PM »
I find that you can build the same thing with a very strong and customized magnetic field to keep the light traveling in a circle in a vacuum chamber.  That way you get no reflective and absobtive losses. You would be amazed how much energy you can store in a small space.  If your field fails, however, the photons will revert to a more normal straightline path, and the absorbtion by the lining, even if only a tiny fraction will result in instant heating and a subsequent very bright explosion.  So be careful all of you home experimenters, and as always, have fun.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 12:14:58 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

elvin1949

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 10:50:23 PM »
NTL

Have you tried lightning-bug's for extended storage.If the sun don't shine for a few day's

and you are running short on light just add a few bug's to recharge the system.

later

elvin
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 10:50:23 PM by elvin1949 »

nothing to lose

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 06:06:17 AM »
It's not april 1st anymore,

So I won't mention that my attemps to use lightning bugs over my solar pannels at night to produce power was a failure. :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 06:06:17 AM by nothing to lose »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 09:09:24 AM »
A little bit 'red neck' but I just use coffee cans, line the lid with aluminum foil, put a photon diode array on top, a little hole in the bottom.

The days light leaks out the hole at night onto the solar panels.

G-
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 09:09:24 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

nothing to lose

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 12:42:13 PM »
"put a photon diode array on top"

Hey be carefull with that!

I focused mine through a telescope in reverse, the pinpoint of light I got was so focused I melted a hole in a car fender and set a tree on fire before I could get it shut off.

I will be trying to work on a way to increase power though, the hole in the fender was melted poorly, not good yet for a homemade laser cutter but I am working on it. Maybe hard drive mirrors and AOL disks glued to a DirectPC dish as a concentrator for the collector.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:42:13 PM by nothing to lose »