Author Topic: SMD based CFL circuit  (Read 2746 times)

Ashishk

SMD based CFL circuit
« on: September 11, 2006, 10:42:56 AM »
In countinuation to 12V CFL , does anybody have a SMD based circuit , rather than through hole ?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 10:42:56 AM by (unknown) »

maker of toys

Re: SMD based CFL circuit
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 01:37:48 AM »

the FL driver designs presented here at FieldLines could quite easily be made on perf-board from salvaged components, which fits the design criteria for this board to a 'T'. . .

I'm not sure why a do-it-yourselfer would want the headache of positioning SMD parts, personally. . . .  I don't even like the occasional bit of rework that I do when a researcher blows up something critical, small and expensive. it's tedious and makes my eyes hurt. . . expecially when the repair involves fixing traces. (You try being warm and friendly after spending an hour stripping pieces of #36 magnet wire 0.030" on each end. . . then soldering each one onto the correct pad of an SMD FPGA between two others just like it. . . )

And one thing that's sure. . . anything involved in being off-grid should be easy to fix with minimal tools.  SMD doesn't really qualify on that basis.

that said, I'm sure that an equivilent to the 3524 is available in SMD; (I'm too lazy to look it up just now.)  the rest of the components are non-critical in exact specifications. (this is not broadcast or data equipment here. . . it's high tech candles!) So, why not claim the bragging rights and  be the first on your block to build a SMD FL drive?  

-Dan

« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 01:37:48 AM by maker of toys »

maker of toys

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 02:39:04 AM »
sorry: 3525, not 3524.  (note to self- proofread BEFORE cliking 'post')
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 02:39:04 AM by maker of toys »

commanda

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 02:48:12 AM »
A circuit is a circuit. Whether you use through-hole or smd components is up to you.

I agree with maker-of-toys. SMD and DIY are mutually exclusive. Bugs me the number of new chips being made only in smd.

Amanda

« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 02:48:12 AM by commanda »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 03:07:51 AM »
Agreed.  I have a feeling it is the beginning of the end for home construction of electronic things.  Must cost a fortune to prototype a design these days.

Not only the problem of SMD, many of the special chips are only available at a sensible price in bulk then if you can find a supplier.

flux

« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 03:07:51 AM by Flux »

jimjjnn

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 07:33:33 AM »
SMD only has the advantage for manufacturing as the insertion machines have gotten so fast that you no longer bend legs on chips like DIPS had. SMD is a lot smaller so PC board density is greater.

SMD is nice but give me DIPS any day for bread boarding, ease of handling, insertion, and soldering.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 07:33:33 AM by jimjjnn »

elt

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 09:49:39 AM »
I held off messing with SMD for a long time but eventually I bit the bullet figuring that if other folks could hand solder SMD then why couldn't I? Google search gives lots of tutorials and advice. The technique that worked well for me was "blob and suck" ... Instead of worrying about bridging pins, you solder blob all the pins and then go back with a heated solder sucker ($10 at RadioShack) and take off the excess. The right amount of solder stays under and behind the pin and the rest is sucked away. Naturally, you have to pay attention of overheating the chip but after just a few projects I have no hesitation to do SOP and QFP packages, though QFN and TSSOP still make me think twice.

I use the toner transfer method when I make my own boards and don't have any problems making the small pads and traces and one nice thing with SMD is that you have less holes to drill.

- Ed.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 09:49:39 AM by elt »