Author Topic: New LED Christmas lights don't work  (Read 4289 times)

jlukasavige

New LED Christmas lights don't work
« on: December 16, 2006, 01:04:00 AM »
I bought a few sets of Forever Brights and plugged them in before hanging.  They all worked.

After hanging them they all worked, but later in the evening, one strand stopped working.  It's in the middle of the set and neither fuse is burnt out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 01:04:00 AM by (unknown) »

kurt

• website
Re: New LED Christmas lights don't work
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 06:35:02 PM »
take them back to the store demand an exchange or a refund.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 06:35:02 PM by kurt »

jlukasavige

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 06:50:26 PM »
Well, that much I do know.  But as far as eclectricity is concerned, how would a set in the middle not work, but the others do?  I just swaped out the fuses and that's not the problem.

I ordered them from a place in Colorado.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 06:50:26 PM by jlukasavige »

watermanhfl

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 09:05:20 PM »
LEDs take about 3.5 volts each so about 25 in series work well on 120 volts.  If one of the bults in thatseries of 25 is loose or open circuits then 24 more LEDs go out.  It was similar with the old syle bulbs.  See the LED section at Otherpower for more info. http://otherpower.com/otherpower_lighting_leds.html
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 09:05:20 PM by watermanhfl »
10' axial on 50' tilt-up.  3.4k solar grid tied. Upstate NY

nothing to lose

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 03:47:34 AM »
Yes, if one bulb is loose or missing a string of lights or part of a string will quit working, but the way the strings are wired the outlets still work even if the set goes out, normally. So if you have a plug on each end of the string then power still flows to the next set through the string that is not working.

Most of the twinkle type lights got to where the bulbs are made that if one blows the rest still works, the older types if one blows they all go out, either new or old if one is loose or mising they all goe out. The larger the string the more sets of bulbs in parralel. I think around 35 bulbs in series are one string and if one is loose they all go out. A set of 120 or such is just 3 strings in one set parraleled, so if one bulbs is loose then 1/3rd of the string goes out.

I had some of those 2-3V twinkle lights that gave me fits in a junk string. Sockets always getting loose and then the set goes out and mess with it for a hour or more to find the loose bulb.

Probably all the same thing with the LED types. The set I have is the same as twinkle light sets, just using LEDs instead of a twinkle bulbs seems to be the only difference and perhaps how many wired in series may vary.

I wonder if the AC is rectified to DC and where/how?

I have some fancy twinkle light strings I'd like to change over to LED, lots of settings for fade in fade out, chasing lights, flashing various ways, etc..

Expensive sets, I wonder if I could buy LED strings after Christmas 50% off and just change the bulbs in the sets?

Just buy the cheapest LED strings I can get.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 03:47:34 AM by nothing to lose »

DANO

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 10:12:44 AM »
You've read my mind......50% off after Christmas!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 10:12:44 AM by DANO »