Author Topic: A better mini-inverter for CFLs and such  (Read 28935 times)

vtpeaknik

Re: A better mini-inverter for CFLs and such
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 07:44:21 PM »
The little Xantrex inverter is still working well, now in its sixth year.  Was quite a deal for $25!  Meanwhile, today my precious 30W 12V DC warm white CFL was destroyed in an unfortunate accident (don't ask).  Looking around the interwebs, I still see very little available in such bulbs (in the USA).  The bulbs says "SDC-S 30w 2700k 12v dc" and some web searching seems to point to sinostar / duxlite, but no retail source for them.  I'm thinking perhaps it would be better for me to install another mini-inverter (I stashed away a spare of the same model way back) and run this lamp (hanging from ceiling) on AC.  Then I'll have a wide choice of cheap bulbs, plus other benefits: I can stop worrying about the DC sparking being bad for the switches, can run other lamps off the same inverter, can run the ceiling lamp on grid power when desired, etc.  Just hate to have to re-work the ceiling lamp and wall switch wiring again.

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
Re: A better mini-inverter for CFLs and such
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2014, 12:38:17 AM »
[Bump]   I've successfully used a computer UPS (uninteruptible power supply) as a low-watt source for the modem, laptop and a 60W equivalent 120 VAC LED bulb.

They throw these out at work when the battery dies.

http://www.ebuyer.com/113906-apc-be400-uk-240-watts-400-va-input-230v-output-230v-back-ups-be400-uk

I remove the gelcell and wire it straight to an AGM 200

http://www.exide.com/us/en/product-solutions/transportation/product/exide-roadforce-agm-200.aspx

Keep it turned on and it will keep the battery charged; the annoying beeping will let you know it's working, and changes when you are drawing more than it wants to deliver.  On a full charge, it will power the LED alone for days.  Just be sure to recharge an AGM at a higher rate than the UPS will.

Turtle
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:44:31 AM by keithturtle »
soli deo gloria