Author Topic: Solar project car  (Read 1968 times)

rick1

Solar project car
« on: March 15, 2007, 06:02:51 PM »
I want to use solar cells to collect and convert electricity for use in my car on a seperate system.  And be able to engage/disengage when l need the power via momentary switch.  If there is anyone who could steer me in the right direction that would be great, if it would be easier.

thanks, Rick...

Wasted space without more info. This is rediculous.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 06:02:51 PM by (unknown) »

asheets

Re: Solar project car
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 12:19:54 PM »
You might want to be a bit more clear about your objectives for your system.  

If you hope to provide full of supplemental power for moving your car, then this is probably a pipe-dream; such systems are huge, use thousands of lithium-ion batteries, and cost millions.

If you hope to recharge the batteries on a Prius -- you could experiment with that but the results will probably be nil while the car is moving.  Stationary charging stations have been done by a couple of e-car experimenters here.

If you want to recharge a car's starting battery, that's easy enough to do.  Take a look at a Harbor Freight catalog.

If you want to install a seperate battery and some panels to run a seperate piece of equipment (radio, inverter, whatever), then you'll need to tell us what you intend to do and how much power you want to draw.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 12:19:54 PM by asheets »