Author Topic: Can I use 16 magnets instead of 8 magnets?  (Read 795 times)

Chendy

Can I use 16 magnets instead of 8 magnets?
« on: July 24, 2008, 01:21:56 AM »
Firstly thanks to "flux" for answering my previous question, and to this great forum more generally.

I have cast 6 coils (90 turns each) to make 3 phase on one level(Axial Flux). I had initially planned to use 8 magnets on each rotor, but I want to use 16 N40 2 x 1 1/2 neos.

I was thinking that just pairing up the magnets (N N S S N N) wolud be the same as 8 larger magnets with slits down the middle - and so should work (Option A).

or Option B

Which would you recommend? why etc

Anyhelp aprreciated asap

PS can anyone recommend any 12V or 24V pure sine inverters (cheap & good)

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:21:56 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: 6 Coils 3 phase: How can I use 16 magnets inst
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:54:39 AM »
Not sure why you want to double the number of magnets once you have cast the coils. If you got it right for 8 magnets you may not get the best results with 16.

The second drawing where you replace each magnet with a pair of the same polarity will work. The last drawing will not. You need to keep it 8 poles.

Doubling the number of magnets and keeping it 8 pole ( second drawing) will lower the cut in speed and if it was right for 8 magnets it will be too slow unless you use a larger prop. Unless your wire choice was wrong originally then you will likely have too much resistance for a larger prop. With the extra magnets you may be able to run a higher voltage ( say 24 instead of 12) rather than use a larger prop but the magnet proportions in relation to the coils will not be very good and you may be too fast at cut in with the high magnetic leakage and poor matching to the coils. Not all your wider magnet flux will link the coils built for 8 magnets.

How well it will work depends on how well you got the design for 8 coils in the first place. If you were close then this will need some messing to get it to match your prop. If you were way out on the original then it may turn out better.

Just picking coil sizes and turns out of a hat without reference to the prop or magnets sizes usually is a recipe for disappointment.

Flux

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 12:54:39 AM by Flux »