Author Topic: Question about electricity  (Read 1460 times)

(unknown)

Question about electricity
« on: March 11, 2010, 04:12:01 PM »
What I wanted to know is about dividing current from a source into different channels or whatever.  As many people know, water can be electrolyzed into hydrogen and oxygen with electricity.  I believe it takes 1.2 or 1.5v DC, or something like that.  What I would like to do is to take current from an alternator 12vDC and split it into 10 'channels' I will call them, with 1.2v each.  I don't know how much amperage is needed for the electrolysis but I am pretty sure it isn't a lot.  So, I was thinking, each 'channel' goes to a series of electrolysis units to produce the hydrogen and oxygen or to produce browns gas.  Is it possible to do this?  Thanks
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 04:12:01 PM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Question about electricity
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 11:06:40 PM »
A clear case of diminishing returns, unless you have need to produce hydrogen (with the appropriate safety protocol) why would you. In short you will put more in than you will get out.

Most things are possible just be sure of your reason.

allan

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:06:40 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

wildcrafter

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 01:21:30 AM »
could use it as a dump load that is usualy wasted power unless your heating water with it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 01:21:30 AM by wildcrafter »

Perry1

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 04:28:55 AM »
Generally cells of this order are placed in series. The total current run through the system is dependent on the conductivity of your electrolyte as each cell will have an internal resistance. No need to separate into 'channels'.

Two thoughts for you;

1. You can easily Goggle the formulas for electrolysis to determine the power needed to produce your gas. If you are truly interested in it this should be a first step.

2. Don't expect too much from your efforts in this field. It's mostly ebay scam pseudoscience stuff.

Perry
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:28:55 AM by Perry1 »