Author Topic: I hit the "50 word" limit problem also  (Read 212 times)

troy

I hit the "50 word" limit problem also
« on: July 10, 2003, 10:52:00 AM »
I couldn't post a comment because of the "50 word limit".  Here's a copy of what happened.  This same thing happened even after I dumped my old cookies and logged in fresh.

I need some help.  I've acquired 4 PV panels (85 W 17V) at a great price, and want to hook them up through an inverter into my house system - which is on grid - at a good price.  Sunny Boy et al inverters are VERY expensive, and I want to put this quad to work safely and cheaply.  Any ideas?     MYKE

Preview Comment  

Post Failed.

Subject is too long (max is 50 characters). Re: Cheap photovoltaic system DC TO 120 V AC inver ( / ) (#0)

by troy on soon

(User Info)  

Dear Myke,

Here's a brief overview:

The big advantage of a pure intertie system is that you don't need batteries.  The grid IS your battery.  The are several drawbacks to this system. 1. Your inverter MUST be an intertie inverter to match the wave form and phase of the grid electricity, or things will blow up and/or catch on fire.  2. So far as I know, there are no cheap intertie inverters. 3. When the grid goes down, you automatically go down also. 4. Most utilities don't make it easy or cheap to set up intertie.  Many require a special accesible disconnect and a second meter, with two sets of monthly "reading fees".

If you add a bank of batteries, then you can run a circuit from your mini system and be completely independent from the grid.  The big advantage here is that when the grid goes down, you still have (limited) power.  Plus, the utility has no control over your system then. You can also start out with any little cheapie square wave inverter which will run most things within their wattage rating. Not as efficiently as full sine wave inverter, but not terrible.

Good luck and have fun!

troy

« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 10:52:00 AM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Troy
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 01:13:17 PM »
Troy;

Subject is too long (max is 50 characters).

That tells me its an user related error.

It clearly states Subject is too long

So you must have been dumping the text to the subject and not the body. Of course its possible that the board software is fubar somehow but it seems if that were so we would all be getting the error.

Maybe some of you don't realize that [tab] jumps from one field of input to the next and [shift tab] does it in reverse?

Just from what I see from your error message.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 01:13:17 PM by TomW »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: I hit the 50 word limit problem : here is why
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 02:04:01 PM »
Guys

Well i just did some tests and it appears that including "" [quotes] in a subject confuses the board software.

Apologies to Troy for claiming "user error".

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 02:04:01 PM by TomW »

troy

Hey no problem Tom.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 08:13:00 AM »
I'll wade through honest mistakes all day long and not mind.  That can still be a productive discussion where we all learn something.  It was the viscious personal attacks that were getting me down. Much nicer and much more productive lately though.

Best regards,

troy

« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 08:13:00 AM by troy »

Gordy

Re: Hey no problem Tom.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 10:20:02 AM »
  Troy,

I hit the same 50 word limit yesterday. It turns out that I clicked on "Post a comment", So I went back and clicked on "Reply to This" and retyped my reply and it went through.

I would have replied to this yesterday, But after makeing the first reply the system aparently logged me off or lost me. Because everything was read only and marked as NEW. Anyway it took me till this mourning to notice that my user name didn't appear on the right side of the screen. So I just logged back in and things are groovy again.

GOOD DAY,

Gordy
« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 10:20:02 AM by Gordy »