Author Topic: Question about Electromagnets  (Read 198 times)

ThePuzzleMaster

Question about Electromagnets
« on: November 09, 2004, 12:18:53 PM »
The general idea is to create a series of three rings, one inside the next and I would like to make these rings magnetic. I am hoping for sizes ranging from just a plain round electromagnet in the middle of maybe 1/2"(That one's not a ring, it's just solid round) and then a ring of 2" and then a ring of 5". All measurements are outer diameter. Also, is it possible if the rings are layed flat on their side for the field to project up from them?

Also, the sizes are not that important and can be altered if need be. I'm more interested if this is even at all possible?

Originally I had thought to take a piece of solid round stock and bend it into a loop and then wrap magnet-wire around it, but upon further research into electromagnets, I don't think that would create the field in the way I want (To project up from the flat ring.) Then I was thinking of taking steel tubing and cutting a cross-section of it and wrapping the wire around that the same direction tape is rolled on a cardboard tube. Then placing that on its side would create a magnetic field to project from the edge of the tube? And I would be able to still fit smaller tubes inside the larger ones.

Sorry if this is confusing, it's a little tricky to explain. But any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

iLan

« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 12:18:53 PM by (unknown) »

finnsawyer

Re: Question about Electromagnets
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 09:16:29 AM »
How about posting some drawings?  It might help you to draw a picture of an electromagnet with the magnetic field distribution.  The field lines leave the north pole and bend around to the south pole becoming less densely packed further away from the magnet (the magnetic field gets weaker as the distance from the magnet increases).  You might be able to make permanent magnets to do what you want, however.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 09:16:29 AM by finnsawyer »