Author Topic: will the board live on  (Read 464 times)

hiker

• BIG DOG
will the board live on
« on: December 03, 2004, 04:00:06 AM »
without their sat. link will the dans close the board--that is if they are

unable to find an alternat link? hate to see this site go down-

im sure if they have to go with a more costly link--most of the members would

toss in thier dues..just my 2cents worth--then again it might cost me a lttle more..

well im going 10-7    later...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 04:00:06 AM by (unknown) »
WILD in ALASKA

JeroenH

Re: will the board live on
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 05:48:26 AM »
Surely their internet connection will be restored when their ISP finds either another satellite or when Intelsat launches their replacement satellite?

I have no experience with satellite internet connections whatsoever so I m ight be wrong, but this is what I would expect from the IPS. They want to keep delivering internet and keep making money.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 05:48:26 AM by JeroenH »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 05:51:57 AM »
I think DanB still has an in-town property where some of the magnet business takes place. He did manage to get back to me after the satellite went down so it appears he has access to email, though infrequently and only when he goes to town. I believe this site is hosted independantly of Starband so is unaffected by the recent failure.

If these guys need money and ask for donations to keep the board open, I'm in there but I think Starband going down only affects their ability to get on the net in their remote location. It's surely a bummer trying to run an online business with no internet connection but from what I've read, Starband is working to move their service to a different satellite as we speak. There's another sattelte set to launch on Dec 18. My bet is that the Dans aren't going anywhere.

Volvo Farmer

« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 05:51:57 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 06:48:23 AM »
Sorry for the lack of an update.  On Wed DanF and I both had direcway installed (a system similar to starband).  It works fine - we have some email issues and such to sort out but were back online.

even if we were not... the board would be fine, we'd just find ourselves driving to town a lot more!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 06:48:23 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

weldingrodd

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 03:35:58 PM »
Cant wait for a unbiased opinion on DirectWay!!!  Never dared to try StarBand as I heard Kim Komando (PC Goddess) heard on radio station across US...Give StarBand an "TooMany Problems" Dont buy rating when it was being used by her nephew...But now she is famous(dont know about rich) StarBand was one of her shows sponsors.

I have dial up and will never be able to get cable(cable operators were allowed to "cherry pick" only densly populated areas of our town ...DSL seems never to be here either even when they tell me its now available.

Please let us know what you think of DirectWay and the real costs of getting it. Rodd
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 03:35:58 PM by weldingrodd »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 07:56:52 PM »

If you ever have to call "tect support " I think you'll see them in a totally diferent light . Green as a bean every one . I had one way for 6 years . and the word for that is out sourced nigtmare

« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 07:56:52 PM by tecker »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 07:36:39 AM »
I dont think we can be very unbiased at this point... since we have no choice.

Starband is coming back online it would seem... though direcway costs less, seems a bit faster, and I much prefer the modem.

Starband did provide good customer service in my opinion... and I've heard from many places that direcway does not.  Up here we take what we can get though...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 07:36:39 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

jimjjnn

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 08:22:50 AM »
You guys have really been great at keeping the board going,even at difficult times. Very commendable.

This board is so diverse but in an ordely fashion that it is the best I have yet to see.

Congratulations and keep of the fantastic job you are doing and most of all, KEEP HAVING FUN.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 08:22:50 AM by jimjjnn »