Author Topic: Stranded vs solid wire  (Read 9176 times)

Volvo farmer

Stranded vs solid wire
« on: December 23, 2004, 12:37:23 AM »
I'm finding it really hard to find 10 or 8 ga stranded wire to hook up my 160W of solar panels. 10ga solid is easy to find at the hardware store. I've got this rememberance in the back of my head that I'm supposed to use stranded for this stuff but can anyone tell me why? And what kinds of losses to I suffer if I use regular old outdoor Romex?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 12:37:23 AM by (unknown) »
Less bark, more wag.

LEXX

Re: Stranded vs solid wire
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 05:56:27 PM »
There will be no less or more losses whether you use stranded or solid wire, the reason you would use stranded is for ease of use, it is much easier to work with because it is so pliable.  The drawback is that the wire will not stay put once you bend it in a certain form, solid conductor will.  Solid conductor, in your case, should be used because you are having a hard time trying to find stranded and it's only advantage is to save time!  If you really have your heart set on stranded you should be able to get it from any wholesaler, I don't know where you are from but in Canada I would reccomend GESCAN or EECOL.

LEXX
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 05:56:27 PM by LEXX »

RatOmeter

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 06:56:39 PM »
LEXX is dead on. Additional info: stranded wire will be larger compared to the same gauge of solid wire. The gauge is a measure of the total cross-sectional area of the conductor, meaning that any stated gauge of wire is capable of conducting a certain amount of current (the insulation rating of that gauge of wire will affect the actual rated current carrying capacity).

disadvantages of solid wire:

1. in larger gauges, hard to bend and run thru conduit

2. flexing/bending to often will fatigue the wire and cause it to break

Advantages:

1. more current carrying capacity in a smaller area

2. sometimes cheaper (unexpected market forces may apply)

the advantages and disadvantages of stranded wire are the opposite of the above, with the possible exception of the last item mentioned.

I'm sure I missed something here, but that's my story.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 06:56:39 PM by RatOmeter »

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 02:46:08 PM »
If I recall correctly, the National Electric Code in the U.S. recommended using a larger size conductor for the same ampacity when using stranded conductors.  I have a few apartments and have observed more failures in the connections with stranded wires and the spring type wirenuts than on solid wire with the triangle shaped digging inserts (I'm not sure of the technical term)  I suspect that solid and stranded wires would fatigue differently over their life as well depending upon their use.  If the cable is likely to have to flex at a given point, where it is mounted to a building or something, then that might be a consideration.  Stranded would likely spread the fatigue over a larger length of wire as the individual strands can to some extent slip past one another.  I don't know if this helps, or for sure if it is correct, but anyway, those are my thoughts at the moment on the subject.  Rich Hagen  
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 02:46:08 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!