Author Topic: New 30% efficient solar cells !!!  (Read 983 times)

edy252

New 30% efficient solar cells !!!
« on: January 15, 2005, 01:53:13 PM »
hi all...

i've read in one of the national (lebanese) newspapers that a new solar cell was developed in the university of Toronto......."Ted Sargent said that this cell can take the IR rays and transform them into electricity ...bla bla bla..." this cell is 30 % efficient which is five times more than common solar cells"

anyone heard anything else about this? price? etc?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 01:53:13 PM by (unknown) »

drdongle

Re: New 30% efficient solar cells !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 07:12:05 AM »
I believe that this relates to a recent announcement about using "quantum dots" and the theoretical possiablity of high conversion rates. I believe that the actual achieved rate of conversion is around 7%.

Carpe Vigor

« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 07:12:05 AM by drdongle »

johnlm

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 09:49:04 AM »
Ive seen (actually only heard about it) it on the news a couple times.  I suspect Dr D is pretty close to correct.  Many of these stories get released as fact when they are still lab curiosities. Many times a story like this is put out to help a school or organization bring in funding. Maybe a reality in the future. Remember the cold fusion stories put on the news as fact back about 10 yrs ago.  Any body seen a cold fusion reactor producing power yet?

Johnlm
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 09:49:04 AM by johnlm »

Jeff7

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 03:03:25 PM »
Don't they already have some 30% efficient solar cells using gallium arsenide or something like that? I think they do exist somewhere - but they're only experimental, and extremely expensive.

I'm looking forward to when they find a way of making solar cells CHEAP. Even just the standard 10% efficient things would be great if they were really cheap. Look retail - a 55W panel runs about $300! It takes a hell of an investment to cover a rooftop with solar panels.

Battery technology also needs a boost - lead acid batteries have good rated capacities, but you can't actually USE the full capacity, or else you damage the things. Lithium ion is expensive, difficult to charge properly, and it can't endure as many charge cycles as most other rechargable cell types.

Maybe Nickel-Hydrogen would be nice. Of course, I've only seen them mentioned in articles about the Hubble - but I bring them up, because the things in Hubble have been working since 1990, taking multiple charge/discharge cycles every day.

According to Space.com, as of May 12th, 2004, the Hubble has gone through 75,000 orbits - one orbit every 95 minutes. "They provided 600 ampere-hours when the mission began in 1990. That's down to 300 now." I wonder if any other batteries can manage that?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 03:03:25 PM by Jeff7 »

juiced

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 12:53:19 AM »
I agree, battery tech. has to advance, and it very well might have.

check out Power Paper.. pretty neat stuff if its real! Comments?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 12:53:19 AM by juiced »