Homebrewed Electricity > Solar

HF 1.5Watt Panel Question?

(1/4) > >>

coldspot:
Hello

I've been digging around in the lighter plug-in of the little harbor freight panel.

Throw on the dash plug into lighter outlet one.
"KH99-1" & "ZX3215" Printed on circuit board,

on the side that has something hidden in the factory

black epoxy type covering, (bottom side I'd say).

Top-side,(one with soldered on tuff),

"KH99-1", printed with markings for resistors ,led cap ect. ect.(more markings than parts used)

One led

One diode maybe n4001

one resistor, orange, red,black and gold

one cap, 4.7uf 50V
Wires out battery thru plug marked

LO-

LO+

Incoming wires marked

LI-

LI+

????

Anybody know if this is a charge controller type of thing or what??????
Thanks

:)

badmoonryzn:
I have 4 of Harbour Freights solar panels. I have traded labor for all but the one you are asking about. I have had little luck with that one doing anything but looking cute. I suppose it might put out a few ma but that's all. I believe its rated at .25 watt but it will not keep a 12 battery charged on my lawn tractor. So I purchased two of the 3 watt panels. Not understanding how the panels were sold and for how much I figured Harbour Freight would have the best buys. They do not and they are far from it. The two 3 or 4 watts panels cost $45.00 and are 12" x 14" I also have their 24 volt 15 watt 4 foot by 1 footer that cost way too much $325.00. I even spent too much in trade for it. :-) They all work OK, but I got little bang for the buck. I also have one that is 1 watt from HF and it will keep my mower battery charged if it is fully charged for three months only 45 days without. I purchased one online 105 watts for 350 dollars. I love playing with all of the applications but I wish I would have bought the 105 watt one first but it took a while and a bit of looking to find the best price, however I do find uses for the little ones. Sometimes its handy to have the little panels for smaller jobs as they will charge sub Cs quite well for LED projects outside. I am surprised how long you can run the newer super bright leds off of a set of sub C Sanyos. I have had some running for over a year and they stay on all night. We have also used 4 white, two red, one green for a nice warm indoor light. This light turns on and lights the porch and entry way quite well and draws just 30 ml. I figure LEDs will be the light of the future as they put out plenty of light and draw so little power. Oh well, I have got off track but I wanted everyone to know about the high output low power leds that have become a usable option for light. And by mixing them you can come up with a nice coloured light. And the cost of Harbour Freights Solar panels being a bit high in cost. As to your question: I would guess the solar panels are built for many things and many customers so the board manufacture is  ready for loads of applications. I see that in mine too and that is my best guess because the voltage swings from 17 down to nothing depending on the light reaching the device, so I doubt it is a regulator. Just a guess though. It's later than I need to be up as I am starting to ramble. Sorry

badmoonryzn:
After playing with mine for a while the led comes on when it is plugged in to my lighter and I would guess the diode protects any positive ground systems one might plug in to so the circuit does not see a short because of the led. and the resitor is so the led won't burn up with to much current I have no idea why it needs an electrolitic cap though

ghurd:
It's been a long time, but the guts in mine just control the LED, and have a diode to prevent reverse current at night.  Not a charge controller because one is not needed with the small PV and a large battery.
People should be aware they do not work as advertised in most cars. The lighter plug is disconnected from the battery when the car is off, so no power goes in.
Silicone the inside rear of the PV or the wires rust off.

G-

jimjjnn:
I have 2 lighter plugs in my Jeep Liberty. 1 in the dash and 1 clear at the back by the rear door.

Both of mine work without ignition being on. Best to check before using the HF modules in lighter sockets. Some are active all the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version