Author Topic: Disaster strikes  (Read 3436 times)

AbyssUnderground

Disaster strikes
« on: January 09, 2007, 04:44:20 PM »
I knew this would happen eventually.

Shed + Wind + Unsupported panel = this...

Thankfully its the one with the dodgy connection that I got a replacement for. Im going to test it for output to see if it still works. If it does, I might as well use it still.

To be safe Ive taken one of the other large panels down and left the other two with heavy pieces of wood on them. At least I can generate a bit of power.

sad face :-(

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 04:44:20 PM by (unknown) »

AbyssUnderground

Re: Disaster strikes
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:50:48 AM »
I should add that, yes, its my own stupid fault for not securing them.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 09:50:48 AM by AbyssUnderground »

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 10:30:33 AM »
Hi,

Sorry to hear this, at least its an older style amorphous type.  cant feel to much sympathy if you didn't have them held down at all, still sorry to hear.

Regads

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 10:30:33 AM by Jon Miller »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 10:33:48 AM »
I didnt expect the sympathy because I never held them down. Im supprised the winds were as strong as they were. What got me it the distance the wind threw it. It took the furthest away panel and threw it about 3m. It just knocked the other panels over.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 10:33:48 AM by AbyssUnderground »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 11:51:55 AM »
Ive just tested the output on the panel. It gives me volts but I can't check the current because I only have artificial light and that doesn't give out any current on any panel I have. The voltage is a good sign. 5v in my room with 120w of incandescent bulbs (hit me for being so inefficient).

Ive decided it might be worth replacing the glass providing I can get the exising glass off. The hard parts are getting the glass off and fitting the new glass so there is no moisure build up. Thats if it is humanly possible to remove the existing glass that is...

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 11:51:55 AM by AbyssUnderground »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 12:44:03 PM »
Oooo.  Makes my stomach hurt just seeing it.

Are the front and rear layers easy to separate?  

Most I saw in that condition seem like the active material is a centered laminate that will not allow the pieces to be separated without damage to the thin film.

Almost like the thin film itself was the adhesive.

G-

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 12:44:03 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 01:16:59 PM »
I can't say for sure yet. Im going to see what I can do tomorrow if I get chance. I have my driving lesson so when I pass im off out celebrating for the rest of the day :-)

If it seems like it can't be replaced, I probably won't bother. I might see if I can cover it with another piece of thin glass to stop any pieces falling away and making it worse.

Better to have a half working panel than a totally broken one.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 01:16:59 PM by AbyssUnderground »

richhagen

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 02:07:44 PM »
I Think the description "thin film" is appropriate.  I've had some where that film began to flake away or blister.  It appears to be very thin, and bonded directly to the glass.  I do not think that you will find replacing the glass is an option.  Rich
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 02:07:44 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

rossw

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 03:47:54 PM »
About a year ago I got a 20W amorph panel from a local store really cheap because it had been damaged in transit. The end 6" or so had been broken by someone standing on it in the delivery truck.

The construction of these panels, if you look at them, is a whole bunch of cells in series. The wider the cells, the more watts they can produce.

Since it was just the end of the panel that was damaged, I still had 80% odd of the length that was intact, so I simply used neutral-cure silicon to glue another lump of glass or perspex or whatever over the damaged section to waterproof it.

In your case, the fractures appear to be across the whole length of the panel. You will probably measure some volts, but only when open circuit. The cracks will form a high resistance and the moment you try to pull any current, you'll get nothing.

Write that one down to experience. Nothing you can practically do to recover anything useful from it except perhaps the frame.

Make some sort of a frame a priority on your list. You should aim to orient them the right way - I gather you're in the northern hemisphere, so have them face south, and inclined such that they are as "square on" to the sun as possible. Making a frame to hold them in this angle, and making it heavy enough to keep the panels down should be reasonably straightforward.

Most of those style panels come with some screws and little plates that fit in the back edge of the panel. I mounted several just using tekscrews into waterpipe.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 03:47:54 PM by rossw »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 03:57:33 PM »
I get about 5v VOC in artificial light like I said. I wont be able to test it till tomorrow with proper sunlight. Its almost 11pm here now. Even if it produces something, Im happy.

Im not too disappointed about it cracking as I paid for two panels but got three because that particular panel that smashed was actually defective when it arrived. The guy sent a replacement and didn't want that one back. I managed to salvage it with a bit of soldering to full capacity. Now I come home from college tonight and find it in the garden smashed against the wooden flowerbed. I was more disappointed about it happening in general but since it was pretty much free its not so bad.

Ill see what results I get tomorrow. As for now the array is pretty much out of action. I just pulled the panels (being annoyed at the time) and left it. It could be shorting for all I know. The diode sorts that out for me. Might be a good idea if I disconnected the C/C anyway...

The two panels I pulled, one is in the shed, the other is here next to me in my room looking sorry for itself! :-) 1 18w panel remains and the 6w panel. I put wood ontop of them so they don't blow away. They're laying flat so I don't expect much from them.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 03:57:33 PM by AbyssUnderground »

Tom in NH

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 07:32:49 PM »
Having recently had something similar happen to me, I feel for you, man. I was lucky. I had homeowners insurance that covered all but $500 deductable. Several times now the wind has wreaked havoc with my panels. Each time I rebuild stronger and each time a more powerful wind comes through. Frustrating. -tom
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 07:32:49 PM by Tom in NH »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 04:49:55 AM »
Just tried testing the panel. I get zip from it. No volts even now. I think there must be hairline cracks in the panel itself. :-( Maybe I can make smaller panels from it? Who knows.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 04:49:55 AM by AbyssUnderground »

nothing to lose

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 09:12:34 PM »
"I have my driving lesson "

Good luck, I never was much good at golf myself.

I geuss I just never saw the point in it.

Hita itty bitty ball wida greata big stick.  :)

Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis fans probably got that joke, others probably not.

Good luck on the driving and fixxing the pannel both.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 09:12:34 PM by nothing to lose »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 12:40:21 AM »
Golf? Driving a car mate! Not driving in golf! And Im glad to say I passed with just 3 minor errors :-)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:40:21 AM by AbyssUnderground »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 05:43:03 PM »
I 'm just guessing but . You must have been conserned about leaks or rental problems .

You can run some pressure treated from the wall to the bottom rake to mount the panels.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 05:43:03 PM by tecker »

coldspot

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 10:42:42 PM »
Being that you are willing to rick them that way I feel you had it coming and was lucky it was only one.

I'd mount them to a pipe, then secure that at least on the top end.

The set-up for the RedRok tracker I'm going to use to have tracking will be a pipe over a pipe with the inner pipe top/upper end mounted to shed/shop roof edge and the bottom to some sort of plate with a shaft pole pointing up and out of it at propper angle for me and needs to only be a foot or so long.

With the inner pipe solidly mounted I can then rig the automobile window regulator, (power window motor), to the bottom end plate and have it turn the free spinable outter pipe to easly track the sun across the sky daily.

Have all the parts rounded up but time and the sub-zero weather here will keep this as a down the road project. ( Have inner pipe mounted to shed/shop as a test and another nice feature is the easly removable outer pipe by just lifting up the whole  set-up by the bottom end, {top mount must be a swivel up/down for this to work}, and just slide outer pipe off for service or what ever),(would be better to make workable the other way maybe, {unhook top mount and lift outter pipe off}?).

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:42:42 PM by coldspot »
$0.02

Lust4PV

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 05:01:49 PM »
One possible way to save a cracked panel, assuming it still puts out power , might be to pull it out of its frame then slide it into a double pane window (prefferably commercial type unit) then fill unit with optically clear mineral oil check specs for moisture content (google "fermilab M.I.T. Drakol 6 or 9 , Also "Immersed solar cells"  ) possibly remove the dessicant in the frame itself first. the panel MAY put out more power than when new, due to the oil refractance. Lust4PV.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 05:01:49 PM by Lust4PV »