Author Topic: Rebates  (Read 1036 times)

andicetexas

Rebates
« on: June 10, 2007, 01:28:12 AM »
I am meeting with members of the local co-op to try and obtain rebates for those who install Grid-Tie PV.  What points can I present that will assist in trying to obtain some rebates from these guys?

The co-op is member owned and does not produce its electricity.  This is what I have so far.

1. They would have to pay for less energy, especially when energy demand is high in summer.
  2. The great PR they would receive for being responsible stewards of the environment.
  3. Being the first Co-op in Texas to offer rebates for PV

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 01:28:12 AM by (unknown) »

craig110

Re: Rebates
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 08:42:55 AM »
Wow, interesting question.  The prospects of getting a rebate are probably related to how much excess power you'll likely be producing over the course of the year.  If you have a substantial amount of excess power, you can talk to them from the perspective of truly being a power producer where, perhaps, you can negotiate rates and rebates.  If, on the other hand, you will be using the grid-tie capability to temporarily store your excess power until you retrieve it on cloudy days and long-term you'll still be a net user of their electricity, then I don't see much bargaining position for obtaining rebates.  Your point #1 is correct that they will be paying for less energy on high-demand days, but also keep in mind that this means they'll also be billing their customers for less aggregate energy that day.  Unless you can show that the coop is losing money on high-demand days or can buy electricity cheaper in the evening and night following high-demand mid-days, lowering the amount of that demand isn't an obvious financial win for the coop.

One approach that might help, though, is to see if the coop offers (either through their own initiative or state regulations) rebates for people who spend money increasing the energy efficiency of their home.  If reducing energy usage by installing   insulation or high-efficiency appliances gets a rebate, you can argue that the PV is in the same category since it also reduces your home's energy usage.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 08:42:55 AM by craig110 »

Gary D

Re: Rebates
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 09:43:58 AM »
 It might be interesting if you could find out when their contracts expire with their(your) power supplier(s). As new contracts are being drawn up, the wholesale prices will be higher due to higher energy costs(raising all members bills).

This may help your cause. However, any electric co-op is like a family insofar as to having to live within their budget. They are a non profit entity. They can install many hot water peak demand cutoffs for a Grand, help with a few insulation upgrades, help with the cost of a groundwater heat pump, and many other things more cost effective.

In other words, it might be wiser to have them help you try to get State solar incentives passed in Texas. Co-op's have the ear of many congressmen(and women) due to them representing and coming  from Co-op territories. This would help everyone in all the Co-op areas....

You as a member of a Co-op are not even entitled to net meter according to the state incentives. They are doing you a favor just by allowing it...

Net metering a wind system could be a losing situation for Co-op members due to when the wind blows (peak demand time or not). This should be treated separately. I understand this isn't your case, but it could open a can of worms...

This from a Co-op member (since 83) from a different state. Perhaps not worth 2 cents...  Gary D.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 09:43:58 AM by Gary D »