Author Topic: connectors  (Read 3066 times)

fields2grand

connectors
« on: July 28, 2009, 12:55:35 AM »
Allright everyone.  I've snooped these boards for over two years.  I got my first solar panel.  40w.  Dont have a battery yet.  Thinking about a sunsei battery controller.  ANYWAY.  I got this panel.  http://www.cdtsolar.com/40_watt  off ebay for 180 bucks plus shipping.  There's some male and female controllers to attach to but I don't know what they're called.  Which is the reason why I'm asking because if you don't know what the connections are called, it's hard to search for them.  I greatly appreciate your help on how to connect this panel to a new 12v deep cycle.  thanks.  PHIL
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 12:55:35 AM by (unknown) »

cattlefarmer

Re: connectors
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 07:05:21 PM »
I think they use MC cables.  They should look like the cables on there site.

http://www.cdtsolar.com/mc_cable

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:05:21 PM by cattlefarmer »

fields2grand

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 07:16:47 PM »
so I need to buy some cable , cut the mc cables and directly connect them with solder?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:16:47 PM by fields2grand »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:31:16 PM »
It would be nice if you took a picture and posted it when the panel arrives. It would help if we saw the way the cable is attached to the panel.

You want to avoid soldering on the back of a panel if at all possible.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:31:16 PM by dnix71 »

fields2grand

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 08:09:33 PM »

hopefully the image worked.  I have about two feet of these connectors until it hits the panel box

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 08:09:33 PM by fields2grand »

rossw

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 11:12:28 PM »
I just installed 12, 100W panels here at home.

They have a similar (but different) connector. I hunted around and found some at my local electronics store but was horrified to find they were $20 each. I'm hooking my panels up as 3 parallel arrays of 4 panels each, so I need 6 connectors.

The store also sells new monocrystalline modules, but when I looked, they have NO connectors supplied at all - just bare ends.

I got cheap/cunning and decided that I'd lop ONE connector off ONE panel from each array. The cut-off connector plugs into the remaining free connector and I now have two bare cable ends which I've terminated in 30A/700V rated terminal blocks.

Should I ever regret cutting the end off, I only need to buy three new connectors and re-terminate the one cut-off end on one panel per array.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:12:28 PM by rossw »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 07:40:27 AM »
I connected up several in a 12V system, which would have cost a small fortune.

I cut them ALL off, soldered on longer wire, then sealed with adhesive-lined thick-wall heat-shrink tubing.

G-
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 07:40:27 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

fields2grand

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 09:26:57 AM »
Ok.  Appreciate the help guys.  I'll probly just lop off one end and solder it to a longer wire and use the extra mc connector to mate it with the other connector.  Good idea.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:26:57 AM by fields2grand »

OuttaSight

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 09:58:17 AM »
Problem with MC connectors is you need a couple of special tools to fit them on the wires.  A crimper and a sort of gun thing to push it over the matching 4mm PV cable.  These are quite expensive and unless you're going to be installing lots of these things it's not really worth the cost (IMO).

The Sharp panels I bought new had them and the installer (who delivered them) kindly made up some 13m extension leads for me.

It does look neat and it is easy to connect panels in series when they come with MC connectors.  The other ends of the extension were just bare wires to go into my controller terminal block.

All the other used panels I have, I either cut off the MC plugs or they were older panels that just have waterproof terminal boxes on them so I could use normal wire.  IP66 ABS waterproof junction boxes are very cheap and you can then use ordinary 30A terminal strips in them.

Actually, I'm such a cheapskate, I've also used watertight locking lid freezer / microwave safe food savers with holes drilled in the sides as junction boxes :D  There was a special offer on at the local supermarket.

I think there are two types of MC plug as well (MC3/MC4).  You need to match the plug type to the cable type you're going to use (3mm / 4mm).

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:58:17 AM by OuttaSight »