Author Topic: More on forklift batteries  (Read 3161 times)

RedLance

More on forklift batteries
« on: August 14, 2005, 07:35:50 AM »
Greetings!

Some of you may remember that several months ago, I bought a couple batteries from electric pallet trucks.  These are the 12 volt 500 A/hr wet cells.

Well, now I am thinking that they would be much easier to deal with if I took the cells out of the steel boxes.  The complete packs each weigh 510 pounds.  I'm estimating that the steel box alone, weights over 100 pounds, which means that each 2 volt cell weights less then 70 pounds.  70 pounds would be much easier to handle, and I have a use in mind for one of the empty steel boxes, a counter weight for the front end loader on my tractor.

Does anybody here know how to disassemble forklift battery packs?  

I could haul them back my forklift dealer.  He said they would reconfigure them for me, but that's a big job, to load them and haul them around.

Then I can build racks to hold the 2 volt cells.  

Also, does it hurt to have a string of 6 2volt cells, (making 12 volts) and then hang 2 or 3 more 2 volt cells off the side in parallel, to up the A/hr capacity?  What do I need to watch or keep in mind when I do that?

Thanks!

Brian

« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 07:35:50 AM by (unknown) »

pyrocasto

Re: More on forklift batteries
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 02:51:17 AM »
I'm not sure in what you mean by hand 2 or 3 more 2 volt cells off the side for more a/hrs... In order to get more a/hrs  with 6 batteries in series, is to add another 6 2 volt batteries that are in series, in parallel. Making 2 12volt banks in parallel for double the amp hourage.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 02:51:17 AM by pyrocasto »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 11:47:09 AM »
The frame is there for a reason - many industrial cells can't support their own weight for extended periods of time, longevity and performance considerations built in that depend on absolute cell support standards. Personally, I'd enjoy knowing they couldn't be stolen easily : )

Can you post name and model of cells? Whose forklift they are meant for?  Pictures?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 11:47:09 AM by DanG »

RedLance

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 06:56:00 PM »
One is a Yuasa 85G-13, the other is a GNB, but I don't have the model info with me now.  Each pack has 6 cells in it.  They were meant for self propelled pallet jacks.  I have a couple pictures of them in my photo area on here...

Theft isn't really an issue as I have them in my basement.  I think I'd notice somebody trying to make off with them. :)  And if I'm not around, then my dogs always are.  Not to mention my trained attack rooster and his 2 duck henchmen. :)

Thanks!

Brian

« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 06:56:00 PM by RedLance »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 10:46:27 PM »
looks like Yuasa sold their industrial division to enersys back in 2001...

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/yuasa05/history.asp

Battery rack info available here - maybe same design held over...

http://www.enersysreservepower.com/catalog.asp

The photo in your files showing data on tag is only partial, the specs off-camera might track down exact rack - cell composition. You've got six 85 Amp-hr batteries, Yuasa has 80 amp-hr batteries listed currently - and Enersys has a zillion rack styles currently.

Look at the publication dates - Enersys stuff from 2001 may link to Yuasa data.

As to dissembly, CAREFULLY. Make a special wrench or socket thats completly insulated except the gripping area, and work only when awake and sober - a short between lugs could give essentialy unlimited amperage, thermite welding anything nearby into ash.

If you get cells removed I'd have a plywood carrier setup so cleaned up cells get slid straight away into tip-proof carrier that supports sides to keep cell from bulging and dipping plate ends in the sediment in case bottom, dislodging clud on walls, blah blah.

Been a long time since I've seen google search spit back zero results - your data tag info pre-dates yausa web presence "au1833" zero, "UL file au1833" - zero, Yuasa "85G-13" zero   etc. etc..

Also - just being in basement means they can work at them longer unnoticed while they dismantle your setup, heck prolly just to get the copper from the wiring...

« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 10:46:27 PM by DanG »

old55olds

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 09:06:51 AM »
Personally I would not take them apart. The sides will bulge and you also risk the chance of ruining the cells when pulling them out. You will also find that the inside of the case is very rusty. Usually companies wash their batteries each month or so and they do not dry them under each cell. This makes them very difficult to lift out. However, if you do decide to  lift them out. After cutting the bus bar, you will notice one post, I believe it is the negative, but check will be in the case solidly. The other will have a red sleeve. NEVER pull on the one with the sleeve or you will lift the positive plates up and may in fact break the plates off of the posts. That means that you will lift on one post only. On pulling defective cells I have seen it necessary to lift the whole case off the floor. If that happens hit the case on a corner with an eight pound hammer. This will usually break the rust loose. Do not lift off the floor more than a couple of inches.

If I had to remove the cells. I would take an angle grinder and grind the corner off the case rather than trying th lift the cells unless the batteries were only less than one year old.

Just my 2 cents worth

Ken

« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 09:06:51 AM by old55olds »

bruce

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 12:39:42 PM »
     I found a forklift pack like you described, weighed in around 1000+ lbs. I decided to break it apart. Like the last posting, I used a grinder and a chisel to open one corner. I cut the buss bar, and with one corner peeled open, I could pull out the first cell, which took the pressure off the other cells, but I used an overhead hoist to do it. They all came out OK. They did weigh about 70-75lbs each.

Bruce

« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 12:39:42 PM by bruce »