Author Topic: cycling  (Read 1784 times)

PEdoubleNIZZLE

cycling
« on: August 18, 2005, 09:17:55 PM »
OK, assuming you have a deep cycle batery, if you discharge it by, let's say 10%, then recharge it, is that considered cycling? what about, let's say yu have a fully charged battery, but it looses voltage through leakage (ot a physical leak, just loosing power), and then it's charged, is that considered a cycle?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 09:17:55 PM by (unknown) »

drdongle

Re: cycling
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 04:03:17 PM »
Cycling is a repetitive charge/ discharge cycle, usually not discharging the battery below a certain level. The result can be a failure of the battery to supply necessary current when an unusual demand is made on it (IE: extending cranking of an auto battery). Self discharge is not "cycling".
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 04:03:17 PM by drdongle »

Sunour

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 01:53:11 AM »
It may help to know (if you dont already) that deep cycle flooded cell lead acid batteries do not store electricity, they convert electric energy into chemical energy and store that and then when electrcity is needed the battery converts it back into electric energy. All of this is done at a cost. The price that is paid is a loss of energy to make the conversions back and forth and a degradation of the lead plates ability to make the transaction. Generally speaking, true deep cycle batteries are made with thicker lead plates than automotive cranking batteries.

I have heard analogies that compare using batteries in a home power setup to having a bank account. Some have even called them battery banks.

Think about true deep cycle batteries as compared to automotive crankng batteries when used in a home power setup as the difference in having a strong, healthy, viralent banker that will live a long life if you dont work him to hard to a week, sickly, wimp as a banker that could kick the bucket at anytime.

Obviously this analogy isnt perfect but it should give you some idea of the differance in these two types of batteries.

On a side note:

As humans our bodies utilize sodium and potasium in a similar matter. Sodium and potasium being two disimiler metals causing a calvanic response which produces the minute electric currents we need to live. Maybe youve seen the V8 juice commercials where the people are walking slanted over? Have you every looked at the nutritional information on the label?

The point being, energy is never "used up" in our universe it is constantly changing from one form of energy into a different type of energy.

Think about an elderly person who has gone to the doctor because they have been feeling "tired and low on energy" and the doctor says to them "you just have a low blood iron count." "Take an iron supplement and see if that helps."

Now shift your focus out into deep space. There! Do you see it? A meteor nearly five miles across hurdeling through space at tens of thousands of miles per hour made of solid iron.

Wouldnt it be something if what and where we are in this seemingly endless universe was nothing more than a smudge on a sub atomic particle? Perhaps floating around in the mote of God's eye?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 01:53:11 AM by Sunour »

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 04:36:46 AM »
"I have heard analogies that compare using batteries in a home power setup to having a bank account."

I think you got it a bit off with the health of the banker??

It would seem to me the similarity is you never get back out what you put in. A banker work hard?? That makes me laugh :)

And if a sickly banker dies it might be sad, but there is no loss to the account, another banker just takes his place. The Money bank works just as well with one less banker (sometimes better), a battery bank does not work as well with one less battery though.

You loose power charging the battery, storing the energy, taking it back out latter with batteries.

You loose money putting it into a checking acount, storing the money and taking it back out latter with checks.

Batteries have losses of power due to nature. Banking accounts have losses due to greed of banks and excessive monthly service fees :(

Unless you have a free personal checking account, then you have losses paying for checks as needed.

Either way, battery or money banks, you never get back out what you put in.

Similar with savings, you may think your getting more back in interest than you put into the account, but to do that you have to put it in and let it sit unused. If you have the money to spare like that, then other investments are far better for a greater return, so you still have losses due to ineffiecincy. You have both money AND time involved and are getting a lesser return at the bank than you could got other wise.

Similar to trying to use weak batteries. You put in a greater amount of time and power, but get less returned, but that is still less than put into them, no gains, so not exactly the same.

But anyway I am still laughing at the part about a Banker working hard :)

Thank you for cheering up my otherwise dreary morning which has got the day started off bad already here.

Oh, and no offense meant if you happen to be a banker yourself.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 04:36:46 AM by nothing to lose »

kitno455

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 09:01:15 AM »
i am still trying to figure out why Calvinists would care about dissimilar metals :)

allan

« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 09:01:15 AM by kitno455 »

Sunour

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 03:49:03 AM »
As I pointed out myself, its obviously not a perfect analogy, so your sarcasim on the matter is rather pointless nothingtolose. But then you have nothing to lose, serving time with multiple life sentences in a maximum security prison are you?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 03:49:03 AM by Sunour »

Sunour

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 04:18:25 AM »
Yes well, so much for my becoming the next world class spelling bee champion.

The word was suposed to be Galvanic.

The two substances in thier purist form are disimilar metals. At a molecular state within our bodies they carry out a sort of unending tug-of-war across cell walls. When sodium is winning, the cells contain more water, and potassium is dumped into the urine for excretion. When potassium is winning, the cell walls get rid of sodium and water.

Where this anology fails is, where the prize for winning this tug-of-war isnt for one or the other substance but for the person and that prize can be a bio electrochemical balance.

On a side note:

What does this have to do with the deep cycling of batteries?

Two words - electrochemical balance.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 04:18:25 AM by Sunour »

nothing to lose

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 08:19:32 AM »
 sarcasim?

I did not intend it that way, sorry if I offended you.

And I kinda meant the parts about the comparision of putting in more than you get out, don't know for sure but that is probably why it's reffered to as banks along with the fact you are storing something in them (energy) like you would money in a bank.

Again, sorry if I ticked you off, sounds like I might have, I never ever try to do that.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 08:19:32 AM by nothing to lose »