Author Topic: Gassing only when charging?  (Read 1465 times)

Dexter

Gassing only when charging?
« on: September 26, 2007, 05:47:30 AM »
Hello - I'm building a battery box for my 4 T105's.  I have a question about gassing and the release of hydrogen.  I know this is why the box needs to be vented.  That the gas is given off when the battery is being charged.  Does it also release gase when it is being discharged?  How about when it is just sitting idle (no charge or discharge).

I ask because my batteries are only used on weekends and are only charged via a generator.  During the week, they sit idle with no solar/hydro/nothing to maintain them.  I know that people don't worry about venting to the cold outdoors because their batteries are always charging and therefore creating a chimney effect via the vent.  I worry that if mine are sitting idle, nothing but cold air is going to drop down that vent during the week.  Therefore, I'd like to put a valve in my vent to close it during the week and only have it open when I'm charging or discharging.

I'm just not sure if they are giving off anything when they are sitting idle.

Is the valve a good idea - or a stupid mistake...

Thanks...

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:47:30 AM by (unknown) »

AbyssUnderground

Re: Gassing only when charging?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 01:17:30 AM »
Batteries don't gas when sitting idle so it would be safe to close this "valve" you speak of making. Just don't forget to open it when you come to charge them.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:17:30 AM by AbyssUnderground »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 01:36:57 AM »
A small solar maintainer should keep the Sg to a level there is know danger of freezing with the 30 degree temp range .Then the open vent will not be a factor .Adding a desulfator to the solar set will put you in a better charge capacity over all . I use a

"Battery minder " It's not as effective as the 20 volt pulse charger but I don't get the White build up and when fully charged the new batteries discharge and recharge  the same as when they were new. Total cost was around  $150 (money well spent) .
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:36:57 AM by tecker »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 05:12:45 AM »
This morning my time there was a question about the best battery box, it has now aparently disapeared, is this the same question in a different cloak?

allan down under

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:12:45 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.