Author Topic: ALCAD XHP 90 Batteries  (Read 3230 times)

oak leaf

ALCAD XHP 90 Batteries
« on: December 18, 2008, 01:46:50 AM »
Hello Board

I was given 20 ALCAD 1.2 volt XHP 90 Batteries with a La Marche 24v charger. I do not need the charger but it was free so I took it. The batteries are 10 years old and from what I saw when I looked them up, that is only half of the life. All of the batteries have 1.271 to 1.275 volts, so they should be good. My question is are they good for RE.

Thanks,

Harlon

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:46:50 AM by (unknown) »

zeusmorg

Re: ALCAD XHP 90 Batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 09:00:59 PM »
 Yes, (short answer) of course it depends on your entire system.

Ni-cads do well in RE applications. Those 20 can either be used in series for a 24 v system, or in two banks of 10 as a 12 v. Nominal voltage per cell is 1.2, float voltage 1.4 and equalizing charge at 1.45 per cell. If your load and charge is comparative to the amp/hr rating then you've found a winner..(free is good)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 09:00:59 PM by zeusmorg »

oak leaf

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I have a 12v string of batteries (1,000ah) hooked up now and they work well. Right now I am using a 750 watt inverter with a home made auto transfer switch I have built with three contactors, a trace load controller, a rib and two time delay relays. That works well also. It switches from regular power to batteries and back with a small blink between switches, based on the charge and discharge of the batteries.

I want to hook up this new string of batteries and isolate them from the first string and feed another inverter. I am not sure how to isolate the two strings yet but I am working on it. Any Ideas? I would like to use the same wind mill and small amount of PV I have to charge them both.

Thanks,

Harlon        

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:42:10 PM by oak leaf »

jonas302

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 08:53:36 PM »
Would one bank be more important than the other maybe charge one as the dump load off the main one

The free batterys sound like a great deal

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:53:36 PM by jonas302 »

anon058

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 06:01:58 PM »
Hi - I just joined and this is my first post. I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but you sound pretty knowledgeable, so here it goes. If I am in the wrong place, please redirect me. I have several 19.2 Craftsman cordless batteries which, when I put them on the charger, light up the green light which signifies a defective battery, or that the battery is fully charged. They are not charged, however. All read aywhere from a couple of volts to 17 or 18 volts and one or two can be "rejuvenated" from another battery and will work very weakly for a minute or so but will not take a charge in the charger. I believe that several of these batteries have been overheated, either by bad chargers or by reversing the contacts. I don't know about all of them but this seems to be what is behind this. Is there any way to repair these batteries aside from replacing all the cells? Many of the cells read 1.2 when tested but that is without a load. I haven't tested any yet with a load - such as a flashlight bulb with pigtails soldered on. I just fixed a couple of batteries by replacing the ceramic "thermistor" I believe it is called and now they work fine. When I put those on the charger before replacing the thermistor, they just showed as dead or as one side dead and they would not take a charge either. As I said, they are fine now. Am I missing something or are these batteries just good for parts and/or junk? Thanks very much for your help. Allen
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 06:01:58 PM by anon058 »

oak leaf

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 09:02:37 PM »
Allen,

I have no idea how to help you. I am still kind of new at this my self. My background is HVAC and commercial building maintenance. Other people on this board are far more knowledgeable than I am on this stuff.

Good Luck and Have Fun!! I am

Harlon

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 09:02:37 PM by oak leaf »

oak leaf

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 03:41:11 AM »
Allen,

I have no idea how to help you. I am still kind of new at this my self. My background is HVAC and commercial building maintenance. Other people on this board are far more knowledgeable than I am on this stuff.

Good Luck and Have Fun!! I am

Harlon

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 03:41:11 AM by oak leaf »