Author Topic: Walmart batterys vs US battery  (Read 7410 times)

thomahal

Walmart batterys vs US battery
« on: April 19, 2009, 12:13:15 AM »
Trying to make a decision on batteries.  A couple local possibilities are US battery's 420 amp hour, 6 volt L-16hc xc (http://www.usbattery.com/usb_usl16hcxc.html)  for $191 new with a one year replacement, 2 year prorated warranty and Wal Mart's everstart maxx 29 dual purpose AGM batteries for $80 each, 18 month free replacement.

My setup will be a 187 watt, 24 volt BP solar panel and a 12 volt air X wind turbine (uh, yeah, I've heard all the Air X horror stories, decided to keep it for now, thanks).  I have a 3000 watt (6000 surge) 12 volt inverter.  I am powering a very small dwelling that uses about 80-100 kWh/month. I am planning to use a tri-star 45 amp charge controller with the solar panel and wire the turbine directly to the batteries.  I would like to get a dump load controller as well.  Providing temperature controlled environment for batteries is going to be a challenge (do plan to, but it won't be battery nirvana, that's for sure) and I am not exactly the most reliable person in the world when it comes to maintenance on ANYTHING.

I'd like to get more panels and build a turbine on my own down the road.  I am perfectly willing to get bigger, better stuff down the road, but am trying to get the system up and running as soon as possible.  I have ZERO experience in this stuff.  I did wire my place, but am probably lucky there are no building codes out in the country where I live.

I have asked in the Newbie section re: how to handle the 24 and 12 volt power sources, but if you want to weigh in on that one, too, that's be fine.  (the junction box on the back of the panel has no apparent screws or anything on it and I can't see how I can open it without sorta ripping things up, so not sure about rewiring for 12 volt X2).

Thank you for any responses.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:13:15 AM by (unknown) »

divemaster1963

• God bless them all
Re: Walmart batterys vs US battery
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:29:07 PM »
personally I would go for the walmart batteries. they are acually manufactured by the deka battery company. I have delt withthem thought the city I work for . have spoken to the corparation. they are very energy concence.( sorry for the spelling)

there manufacturing company is very green wise. best to start easy then improve with experence.

good luck

and good sun and wind.

divemaster1963

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 07:29:07 PM by divemaster1963 »

CmeBREW

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 09:05:22 PM »
I would go with the TRUE deep cycle L-16's. They have the THICK lead plates in them (thats why its only 6v ea) that will last many, many years of REAL daily use. (and you can add water if you ever boil out too much by overcharging and/or equalizing)

Those Everstart batts are just Marine batteries (dual purpose;starting/trolling) I believe and sealed.(can't add water)

They are 12v dual purpose which means very thin plates which means they shouldn't last as long if you do Real daily RE-use out of them.  

But They should last years if only used lightly or on occation like RV or boating.

I regret buying so-called "Deep cycle" marine batteries at Walymart (Everstart 115AH). They still work, but the Watthours capacity has went down about in half in only one year, and I didn't even use them daily or heavily and never over 25 percent discharge per cycle (usually way less) and always recharged full the next day.  (and I even equalized them occasionally but it don't help but for a day or two)

I like my 6v (thick plates) golf cart batts way better. (But L-16's are even better quality for true daily deep cycle)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 09:05:22 PM by CmeBREW »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 06:49:59 AM »
I have to agree with CME.

AGM [any brand] is probably a poor choice for a beginner. Flooded batteries like the L-16 are tough and built for the type of service you will put them to. Those "dual purpose" are a gimmick that do not really fulfill either application.

Just my opinion:

Learn about batteries with flooded cells and you will not be disappointed like you will be when you overcharge the AGMs  a couple times and brick them in the first 6 months.

Tom

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 06:49:59 AM by TomW »

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 07:28:11 AM »
Not to defend Wal-Mart, because I try and stay out of there as much as possible, but they put most everyone else out of business here in Northern New Mexico, anyway they do sell a battery that is strictly deep cycle, and they do sell it alongside the dual usage gimmicky battery which has "Deep Cycle/Starting" written on the side, which anyone with any knowledge of batteries reads as a oxymoron. This is not to say that the  Deep cycle only labeled batteries are what they say they are, but I thought I would clarify that Everstart sells more than one type of Deep Cycle battery.

Again I don't suggest Wal-Mart, far from it,  I'd do any other store if there were one here.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 07:28:11 AM by Boss »
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 08:24:04 AM »
Go with the L-16HCs.

They will not cost much more because you would need at least 2 or 3 times as many G-29s to efficiently handle the potential charging amps.

And the L-16HCs will last a Long time.

G-
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 08:24:04 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Fused

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 08:50:19 AM »
Ive been charging a pair of Max 29 wally batteries for a year now. Ive only needed to add water twice to keep topped off. Yes they have removable caps. Ive abused the heck out of these batteries over the last year and I've noticed no difference in charge or discharge.

Im running 2 garbogens and 45w of HF solar. I guess I have 6 more months to trash em if I can, and return them if needed.

Just my experience.

Happy days

Fused

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 08:50:19 AM by Fused »

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 02:25:59 PM »
I checked Wal-Mart for these batteries last week and the price jumped to $175 from $150 making them less of a bargain. Now the big problem is how to get enough dough together to buy the much better Trojans instead.

So many hurtles

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 02:25:59 PM by Boss »
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

scottsAI

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 02:37:58 PM »
thomahal,

As a first system I would buy whatever is the cheapest, meeting your AH needs.

This is the time your most likely to damage a battery, so the lower investment is why.

My local Walmart carries golf cart batteries, if you ask (assuming you can find anybody who knows)

Last I looked was a couple years ago, were 225ah 6v $60. Hear the price has gone up.

Flooded batteries handle abuse better so recommend them as a first battery.

Not good to have in your home unless in an outside vented box.

Does not need a fan going unless doing a full or an equalizing charge.

Make sure you check the water level weekly, until you learn your system then check based on need.

Very important to keep water above the plates.

Noticed your comment about maintenance. OK hear you.

Automatic watering systems are not too expensive, last look on sale about $6/cell.

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 02:37:58 PM by scottsAI »

Dennis Damm

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 03:46:57 PM »
If i might ask who quoted you that price of 191.00 per battery. That is a hell of a good price if its real. Heck im gonna call the nearest dealer to see if i can get that price.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 03:46:57 PM by Dennis Damm »

divemaster1963

• God bless them all
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 07:05:39 PM »
if your just starting out try contacting a local battery vendor about blimsh batteries( they call them blemish but there is only cosmitic the battery is still a1)

they normally sell them for way less than brand. My local vendor sold me 6 6volt trogens ( same battery the manufacture over produce a special order with different color case. for who knows reason. ) I got them for 30.00 each no core charge.

good hunting

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 07:05:39 PM by divemaster1963 »