Author Topic: Batteries are bubbling/boiling???  (Read 18482 times)

freejuice

Batteries are bubbling/boiling???
« on: September 07, 2009, 04:58:55 PM »
Hi Folks,

I have a a bank of golf cart batteries, Sam's club stuff ( enegizer, GC-2 6v) wired in series and parallel for 12 vots.

At the moment I have the charge controller dump set for a max of 14 volts, because I have read that a fully charge battery bank setup like mine for 12 vots is fully charged at 14volts. However at 13.5 volts I can hear them bubbling ( not violently or boiling over)...it sounds like small bubbles, but constant. The water level inside the batteries is still good for each cell.

However I can place my hand on the side of the batteries and they are just slightly warm to the touch.

My question is: Is it ok to go to 14 volts and stop or should I ease off at 13.5 volts?...What say the jury?

Thanks,

Gavin

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:58:55 PM by (unknown) »

dbcollen

Re: Batteries are bubbling/boiling???
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 11:07:31 AM »
If this is a new bank you should equalise the bank, bring it up to 15 Volts for a few hours, the gassing is normal and will become much more vigorous above 14V.

Dustin

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:07:31 AM by dbcollen »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 11:09:31 AM »
There should be some bubbling with normal settings. If the water level is staying ok and you are not spraying acid mist everywhere there is nothing to worry about.

You will need on occasions to get to 14.2 volts or even more but if you are mainly floating the batteries with no deep discharges then you can float at about 13.8 for most of the time.

If you are draining them significantly fairly regularly then I wouldn't think that 14v would hurt.

When gassing during equalising you can really hear them burping and water consumption needs watching. I don't think you are boiling in the normal sense.

If this is solar then you may manage with a bit lower voltage if your load is small but with wind you usually have trouble keeping the things up in volts for significant periods to equalise and a higher voltage gets them there when you have wind.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:09:31 AM by Flux »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 03:30:12 PM »
If they are new batteries you should charge and discharge down to 5 volts or so the first time and that will allow the batteries absorb a charge better I would use a cap and diode circuit with 110 volts for a good charge the second time and then charge as you would with the re system then charge every week once with the cap and diode.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 03:30:12 PM by tecker »

freejuice

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 06:26:17 PM »
Thanks Guys,

You folks are the greatest! I'm still a big green-horn with the windmill..I would be lost without you folks!

Thanks again,

Gavin
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:26:17 PM by freejuice »

zeusmorg

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:34:34 AM »
 Pull a lead acid battery down to 5 Volts?? I think NOT!

A Lead acid battery should never be discharged that low.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:34:34 AM by zeusmorg »

zeusmorg

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 10:36:49 AM »
 That comment is based on 12v nominal. On a 6 v battery it is possible to discharge one that low.

I was commenting on a 12v bank.

Sorry for any confusion.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:36:49 AM by zeusmorg »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 11:46:22 AM »
It would be the same as taking a 12V down to 10V.

I do not see that as being a great idea.

G-
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:46:22 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

zeusmorg

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 04:48:03 PM »
 That's why I added the post-script i was in 12v thinking mode...

They were talking about a 12v system, so some confusion could occur..

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 04:48:03 PM by zeusmorg »

bob golding

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 06:32:12 PM »
12 volt down to 10 volt? or 6 down to 5? i think it depends on the battery. according to the surrette tech bulletin i have just read it is  recommended that you  bring them down to 11 volts every now and again to help form new reaction sites. it also says they are designed to be deep cycled. i dont know about other  batteries but i wouldn't take them down that far unless the manufacturer says it is ok to do so.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:32:12 PM by bob golding »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

shay

temperature of battery a good indication
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 02:25:08 PM »
Because flooded lead acid batteries are a 'consumable', they wear out. Therefore, unnecessary discharging, overcharging, and the sizing of the bank to the charging/discharging determines their life. Their state day-to-day should be in the top 20% of charge. Over the years I've found that flooded lead acid cells need to be used actively. So it's an art to get the most out of them. In a primitive installation you won't need a hydrometer, shorted load test meter, timed load test program/computer, and amp hour meter but there is where your future lies. I consider 15 to 15.5 volts (nominal 12 v lead acid) for a couple of hours a month and many times there isn't enough power available so a day at 14.8 might be the best I can get. They hiss and pop, throw off nasty smelling gases so shield electronics from the spray that comes off the bank. But the best indicator of overcharge is temperature. If it gets to 150 degrees F (warmer than comfortable to the hand) I quit charging. Outback has an optional charging sensor for temperature to avoid battery damage with their inverters.  

Recently I've tried a new technique called 'acid balancing'. This becomes noticeable if you have dissimilar (old) batteries mixed in a bank (deep discharge with non-deep discharge). Other uses are sulfated batteries mixed with fresh. Usually there are differences between the acid concentration, cell to cell. They say when there is a 5 point difference in a battery discard the battery! I could never afford to do this so I swap high acid cells electrolyte with watery cells electrolyte and use my hydrometer a lot. Fresh acid is available from auto parts stores for the watery cells. It's normal that bubbling cells lose electrolyte and normal that cells lose water to evaporation so you'll always be putting in more than you swap.    

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 02:25:08 PM by shay »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 06:52:46 AM »
Here is another story about

Bigger Better Battery Bubbling

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/11/29/2250/6513

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:52:46 AM by wooferhound »

GeeWiz

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 09:40:32 PM »
I've read a lot of different opinions on conditioning NEW Lead Acid battery banks.  

I've just bought a new set of 8 Trojan L16 HCs and I'm wondering if I should do something special or not.

My thoughts were to keep them above 80% charge, and to equalize for an hour every other week or so.

Other Options?

Thanks

Battery Bank 8 Trojan L16HAC

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:40:32 PM by GeeWiz »