Author Topic: DIY Vanadium Redux Batteries?  (Read 10463 times)

jondecker76

DIY Vanadium Redux Batteries?
« on: August 30, 2006, 06:05:28 PM »
I'd like to experiment with these, maybe by makign a small tabletop model first. I work in the chemical industry so I can get the materials I need.

My big question is what would I use for an Ion exchange membrane? Carbon?

thanks

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 06:05:28 PM by (unknown) »

BigBreaker

Re: DIY Vanadium Redux Batteries?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 12:25:31 PM »
The electrodes are normally made out of carbon.  No membranes are necessary, as I recall.  The trick is going to be cooking up your vanadium solution.  I think it is carfeully disolved in concentrated sulphuric acid.  That's a detail the researchers like to gloss over.  There is a science and an art to getting the highest load of vanadium without having it precipitate out.

Vanadium is not that easy to get either.  It is a specialty steel additive and not exactly on the pharmacy shelf!  Your employment may offer you a source.

Good luck.  I was really interested in the technology at first.  Ultimately though I think fuel cells are a better bet.  The round trip efficiency for reforming your own fuel is lower but the power and energy density is much higher.  Wind is best for RE and it is "spikey".  Better to have huge storage and lower efficiency.  You'll grab all juice when it's available and you can have weeks of fuel at any given time.  Augment with lead acid for peaking and you have a great system.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 12:25:31 PM by BigBreaker »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 02:30:46 PM »
I would really like to experiment with Vanadium ions

i've read that when the solution is pumped through the ion exchanger (multiple ones stacked ) that you can charge and discharge at the same time and at different voltages

charge it at 12 v , discharge it at 48V , or you can charge it at 48V and discharge it at 24V

if you need more current increase the flow rare

very cool stuff
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:30:46 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

Darren73

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 02:39:21 PM »
from all the reading i did on this a while back the membraine is needed to keep the 2 solutions apart, the battery works by the exchange of ions across the membraine, the membraine worked best when soaked in concentrated sulphuric acid, it's been a while since i read up on it i will try and find the info again for you, the electrdes from memory need to be graphite.

the following link has some useful info and chemistry of the reaction includinc concentration of solutions

http://www.vrb.unsw.edu.au/

The Vanadium Redox Battery for Emergency Back-Up Applications page in the publications section details the membraines trialed and results obtained.

regards

Darren

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:39:21 PM by Darren73 »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 04:32:02 PM »
this is a table top model

http://www.vrb.unsw.edu.au/jpg/vrb1.jpg

thanks for the link
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 04:32:02 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

Eraser3000

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 08:31:37 PM »
Anybody get anywhere with this?

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 11:50:26 AM »
There has been an alkaline system designed since, much better then trying to work with larg amounts of acidic vandium compounds

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/2015/09/alkaline-flow-battery-renewable-energy-storage
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!