Author Topic: vanadium redox cells again  (Read 3191 times)

bob golding

vanadium redox cells again
« on: January 13, 2008, 04:12:47 AM »
hi all,

been spending a lot of time investigating the science behind these. i now have enough details to make the cells. need to get prices for the PEM. napion 117 seems to be the one people are using. i am trying to make sense of the patents for  making the electrolyte. chemistry is not my best subject so progress is slow. the word "surprisingly" comes up in the patent quite often so it looks like there might have been a lot of puzzled looks and head scratching when they were experimenting. i have found you can buy vanadium pentoxide from pottery suppliers. it is a lot cheaper than chemistry suppliers. don't know the purity or even how pure it needs to be. if anyone else is interested in trying it make a small demo size cell i can post  the links i have found. any chemists out there who could tell me if this a futile pursuit? i did read somewhere that you need rhodium plated electrodes to concentrate the vanadium pentoxide. somewhere else says just oil the stuff up till it changes colour? this is why i need a chemist. seems the commercial ones are down to  the 5 kw scale. looks like vrb have an order for 2200 of them so getting closer. still waiting for the 1 kw model.

cheers

bob golding

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 04:12:47 AM by (unknown) »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

Eraser3000

Re: vanadium redox cells again
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 08:24:58 PM »
Get anywhere with building one?

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 11:52:24 AM »
8 year old post, so odds are,,,, No.

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/2015/09/alkaline-flow-battery-renewable-energy-storage  < Best bet is this one IMO
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Eraser3000

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 11:01:27 PM »
Do you have any personal experience?  I have some quotes for membranes and fluid, and the whole setup as well....   Not super cheap, not too much higher than Deep Cycle though.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 11:52:03 AM »
have been keeping an eye on them for some time now but with how cheap you can get a wrecked nissan leafe and reperpose the cells in them hardly seems worth the effort
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 12:07:21 PM »
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17879

Found the one post I was thinking of, show's a guy who took a used leaf battery pack and made a sweat reared battery system.