Author Topic: Washing machine water to water the lawn?  (Read 12833 times)

Number21

Washing machine water to water the lawn?
« on: April 01, 2008, 01:16:05 AM »
I'm trying to slowly chip away at and get rid of my utility bills. I'm thinking about running the drain of my washing machine into a 55 gallon drum to water my grass. Rain barrels don't work here unless I had several thousand gallons of storage for the summer.

So my questions are:

1. Will laundry detergent have any adverse effects on my grass?
  2. Should I mix the grey water with any fresh water to dilute it?
  3. How much water does a large capacity washer use in a cycle? I really have no idea...

Damn, where do you draw the line?

HERE

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 01:16:05 AM by (unknown) »

fanman

Re: Washing machine water to water the lawn?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:00:16 PM »
hello number21

fanman here, i thought i would answer your guestions for you,i am in the septage business for a career, and i can assure you that watering your grass with your grey water(wash water), is perfectly fine to put on your lawn, i haveent ran across any detergents that harm your lawn, i will tell you that your lawn will green up very nicely, you should not need to dilute it at all, and your normal top load washer uses approximatly 45 to 55 gallons of water per load,thats alot compared to the new front loaders at 15 to 20 gallon per load, another great thing is that if you live with your own septic system, you get that water out of the septic tank, and that equalls approximently 8000 to 11000 gallons of water per year that you dont put into the drainfield or leachbed, all the antibacterial soaps and bleaches you put into your sewer system do kill the bacteria dramatically. so its nothing but a win win situation, glad to help

fanman dave
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:00:16 PM by fanman »

spinningmagnets

Re: Washing machine water to water the lawn?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 08:01:57 PM »
I don't know the answer to the specific question you have asked about grass-friendly soap, but...

You could segregate and store the first rinse water (soapy) from the washer, and use it to flush your toilets, then then save the second rinse water (fairly clean) for the lawn.

The next president will be dealing with a crisis in water, electricity, and fuel.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:01:57 PM by spinningmagnets »