Author Topic: Wind / Solar combo  (Read 3126 times)

Chaosnp

Wind / Solar combo
« on: November 21, 2004, 10:41:52 PM »
I'm new to the Remote Living Game so any help is appreciated. My home is located on a mountain in Mattawa, Ontario - Canada. Southern facing with good winds. The house is off the grid (though the lines run about 200ft beside me up the mountain) and included a solar and wind powered set-up. I bought it without any details on the system itself and little to no knowledge on how to make it work efficiently. The wind generator is apparently a Viking Wincharger, with two wooden blades and two smaller wider steel blades on one shaft. It does nothing at the moment and from my research it requires a diode, as the previous owner did explain that it seemed to function as a motor rather than an altenator. The solar system consists of 4 different panels - One newer Siemens 2'X 4' panel an unknown 1' X 2' panel and two more unknown panels 18" x 36" each in series. Some if not all of these seem to work, as my meter reads 1-3 amps but the readings vary and tapping it can change the reading. The batteries read a 12-14 volt charge but are probably weak as some seem to have deteriorated and have pieces of the plates lying in the bottom of the case. The battery system consists of 2 Trojan Marine SCS 450's 13.6 hrs @ 15 amps, 6 VARTA Type GD11's cap. 100 AH, 6 VARTA Type W17's cap. 240 AH (All are acid),    9 NIFE Junger RP 240's and 24 SAFT RSMP 160's (All non-acid) - 1 FANSTEEL Rectifier AC 110-220 Cycles 60-100 DC volts 13.5 DC amps .9 - 1 Power Conversion Products Inc. rectifier Dc volts 7-13.5 DC amps 5  model DT - 1 Unused Howard & Gould rectifier DC volts 3.0 DC amps 2.2 I also have 5 unused batteries 3 VARTA Type GDX7 60 AH 1220 SG - 1 HART DHS 60 AH that looks similar to the VARTA GDX and 1 HART that looks like a VARTA GD11. I am trying to find out how old the batteries are but so far I'm on my own. I am interested in incorporating a pulse desulfater to hopefully restore the bank. My power consumption consists of RV style 12 volt lights throughout, a 12 volt water pump and small 12 volt air circulation pump for my water resevoir, as well as a small vehicle stereo system wired into the house. I also have plans to run a small TV and satellite receiver. I want to take what steps necessary to effectively use the system, which is semi-operational as I write this. Again any insight to how I should proceed is greatly appreciated

« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 10:41:52 PM by (unknown) »