Author Topic: How do megawatt HAWTs work?  (Read 1764 times)

jamesjones

How do megawatt HAWTs work?
« on: June 16, 2005, 08:59:51 PM »

Something that's always puzzled me is how very large three or two (or even one!) bladed HAWTs manage to make full use of the wind that passes through their swept area. I've tried to illustrate above as best I can, what I'm getting at. How does wind that is passing through a huge gap in between two blades, over a hundred feet from them, manage to exert any effect on them whatsoever? If a theoretical turbine was built with one blade, a mile long, how would it be driven by the wind that was on the opposite side to the blade, if the rotational speed was 0.3 RPM? (I'm guessing at how low the RPM would be, but you get the idea.) The wind speed is relatively constant, between a maximum and a minimum speed. That will never change. The tip speed ratio is also relatively constant, and there's nothing we can do to make the turbine turn significantly faster. So we are left with the conclusion (at least, I am) that the bigger a HAWT becomes, the slower its blades turn, and since the wind speed is relatively constant, this means that more and more wind will pass through the spaces between the blades.

If anybody can explain why this isn't so to me, I'd be very grateful!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 08:59:51 PM by (unknown) »

whatsnext

Re: How do megawatt HAWTs work?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 03:15:51 PM »
"If anybody can explain why this isn't so to me, I'd be very grateful!"

It is so, but who cares. The point of using wind to generate power is not just to block as much wind as possible. Wind is smarter than you think. Given the chance to have all it's power taken away or to just go around one of your mills it will take the later. I've read a number of your posts and, it seems, you want to build a mill that totally absorbs all the energy of some point in time. The problem with that idea is that a wind gen is a dynamic device and if you have a bunch of dead(still) air behind your blades the fresh(energetic) air will just go around it. You want both torque and rpm to make horsepower which is what we all want. Just trying to make torque is really a waste of time because without rpm it will be wasted. Looking at a wind gen as a static device, which I've noticed a lot of folks here have been doing lately, is a really good way to make a bad gen.

John............

« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 03:15:51 PM by whatsnext »