Author Topic: Single big stator vs. Multiple smaller stators...  (Read 1633 times)

cr8zy1van

Single big stator vs. Multiple smaller stators...
« on: July 13, 2005, 11:24:01 PM »
I wonder if someone can clear something up for me.. Lets say I want to make my nacelle's wind cross section smaller, could I use smaller stators, and have more than one? Like having multiple stators and magnets driven by a single axle?

-X|X|X|X-

X the magnets, and | the stators..

I wanted to see if anyone has tried such a configuration.. In my mind (untill someone clears it up for me.) It makes sense that since the magnets are not so far from the center of the axle, it would take less torque and therefore start spinning easier. And since your nacelle could be built smaller, you could enclose the entire device in a slick airodynamic enclosure. I am looking at building a small generator thats good for about 250+ watts.

On an entirely different subject. Could someone please explain to me how wire thickness/number of winds in each coil affects my stator performance? I read on another site that 40 winds of #15 wire is better in high and med wind conditions, but 44 of the same would be better for low wind conditions. How do I calculate cut-in speed, and what exactly does that mean to me?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 11:24:01 PM by (unknown) »

cr8zy1van

Multiple smaller stators...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 05:27:56 PM »
this is a rough draft of what im thinking... the red is the stators, and grey the magnets...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 05:27:56 PM by cr8zy1van »

pyrocasto

Re: Single big stator vs. Multiple smaller stators
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 05:33:44 PM »
People like Alan have done it and posted about it here.

I believe someone said you would get twice as much power by doubling the diameter of the stator and rotors as you would by making 2 stators

« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 05:33:44 PM by pyrocasto »