Author Topic: questions for the wind gods  (Read 1412 times)

tripper

questions for the wind gods
« on: July 30, 2005, 08:09:11 PM »
hey crew

-long time listner first time caller

1. to recharge a battery its best the voltage is about 13.8 right? well what happens if the wind picks up and the voltage increases? does a 12v battery still charge if your are pouring in 20v? what happens to the battery?
  2. southwestern wind turbines claim that their "Air x" is the only turbine that takes advantage of the power of the wind cubed every time the speed doubles....how could a VAWT also acomplish this?
  3. what does a battery regulator really do (besides regulate) by that I mean how does it regulate? does a regulator simply vary the voltage? and does a regulator contain a buck/boast converter....or is a different matter altogether.

ummm....thats it I think

Cheers for any feedback

trip

« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 08:09:11 PM by (unknown) »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: questions for the wind gods
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 02:34:22 PM »
-long time participater, many self inflicted casualty's...

;-0 Just kidding...

"to recharge a battery is about 13.8v right?"

hmmmmm, lets see here, basically yes you can charge any battery at a-boot 14 volts. In fact, most 'flooded' lead-acid battery's have a full state of charge at 12.95v. I have some VRLA glass mat battery's (the reactor type), and they wont tollerate over 14volts period.

"power of the wind cubed everytime the speed doubles....how could a VAWT also acomplish this?"

You know you could actually use that as a generalized question for its own topic.

JW

« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 02:34:22 PM by JW »