Author Topic: Lenz2 low output  (Read 11071 times)

velacreations

Re: Lenz2 low output
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013, 04:54:15 PM »
well, I bought a bike speedometer and calibrated it for my rotor, so doing bench tests and getting rpm is pretty easy.

so, I'm thinking we will do that, add a layer of magnets to the disc, and see how the cut in improves.

When we measured rpm, we hit 9 volts at 125 rpm.  Now, when it is up on the tower, we I measure the voltage output at the base, and we are almost always hitting 9 volts, just a stiff breeze does that.  But, I hardly ever see it hitting 12 volts, it needs a very good wind to do that.

It hits 12 volts at 170 rpm.

So, I'm hoping that we can improve the cut-in with the second layer of magnets and aim for 110 rpm for 12 volts.  If We can get that, then we can resin the second layer of magnets in place or make whole new discs with the 1/2" thick magnets.

In either case, the second layer test should tell us a lot.

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2013, 08:54:05 AM »
My latest mod is coming around a little slow but I see some improvement  (not much wind to work with in until the tower is complete ). I put drive coils on the outer perimeter of the rotor and
some large doughnut mags to the rotor ( the large inner hole makes for solid mounting ) this affords an increase in rpm and a modest power increase . If you make the drive coils large with say 24 gauge wire there's a happy zone around 190 rpm . Any wind at all pushes the rotor to 200 plus . Closed loops are not well received By all people but the inertia of the combined wind rotor and the magnet rotor is working out . The push at every 120 degrees is very smooth . I'll post the circuit and alignment later today when the meat is on . It's me having fun as Ed would say .
I don't see any wedges for sale on ed's site any more but CMS has them .
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 09:17:24 AM by tecker »

velacreations

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2013, 09:16:30 AM »
Ok, so weather cooperated with us, and we finally got a chance to test extra magnets.

With an extra layer of magnets on one disk, we were able to hit 12v at 142 rpm.  That's a significant improvement from 170 rm with a single layer.

So, we added a layer to the other disk to test.  We hit 12v at 130 rpm, with that.  We can shrink the air gap a bit more, and maybe improve this number.

With the machine in place, we were hitting 130 rpms pretty regularly, even in light breezes.   So, I think that will work,a nd if we can improve it a bit more playing with the air gap, we should be ok.

I have to find some resin to get these magnets anchored, the resin I had has gone bad.

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 11:30:18 PM »
I have to find some resin to get these magnets anchored, the resin I had has gone bad.

This is good epoxy from a reliable dealer

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/BOAT_REPAIR_PRODUCTS-West_System_Epoxy.html

Get both fast and slow hardener for different uses

It ain't cheap, but quality never is

Turtle
soli deo gloria