Author Topic: induction motor conversion  (Read 4904 times)

Paulm

induction motor conversion
« on: November 09, 2004, 12:21:31 PM »
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 12:21:31 PM by (unknown) »

Paulm

Re: induction motor conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 12:33:34 PM »
This message has a photo of the induction motor I'm trying to convert. 1/3hp , 120vac, 1725rpm, 36 slots in the stator. It has a start up winding switched by a centrifigal switch thingy. If I had neo magnets on the rotor, would I get usable power from the existing windings , ie: 200-300 rpm into 12 volt battery. How do you get to the indivigual coils if I want to put a bridge rectifier on each phase to add together for more current?

Thanks for any info.

Great site for "how to" information.

Paul.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 12:33:34 PM by Paulm »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 04:03:53 PM »
I'm working on something like that now. A few actually.

I just got some more good information in my post,

"Motor conversion confusion".

Also Search this site for:

Garbo gen, garbo-gen or garbogen (mostly by windstuff Ed)

Maytag (by hiker)

A ton of good information.

G-

« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 04:03:53 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

baggo

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 04:55:41 PM »
Hi Paul,

Suggest you search back through the diaries. Zubbly posted an excellent three part series on induction motor conversions in the middle of August that may be of help to you.

John

« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 04:55:41 PM by baggo »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 05:01:05 PM »
ghurd;

Garbo gen, garbo-gen or garbogen (mostly by windstuff Ed)

Just for the record, Jerry is the GarboGen creator. Ed Lenz over at winstuffnow does lots of great stuff too, just not the GarboGen.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 05:01:05 PM by TomW »

MelTx

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 05:18:00 PM »

Hello. If you are going to convert a motor,try to find one that has 8 start & 8 run windings.You will get much more out of them compared to the kind that has only 4 windings.Some of the older ceiling fans have a lot of copper.The kind that look like a regular fan motor about 4" dia x 6" long. They will put out as much as 50 open volts spun with a drill motor,of course the battery will pull it down to what you need.  I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 05:18:00 PM by MelTx »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 05:49:38 PM »
Sorry about the confusion.

And if this shows up twice.

I was going over charts about outputs, etc., got confused.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 05:49:38 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

sh123469

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 06:41:55 PM »
I have a question about the volts being pulled down...When the volts are pulled down in a situation like this, do the charging amps go up like there was a voltage conversion since this is basically capacitative transformation?

Steve

« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 06:41:55 PM by sh123469 »

windstuffnow

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 08:17:26 PM »
  The "Garbogen" was posted by Jerry.   He and Zubbly are the motor conversion kings I believe

Have Fun

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 08:17:26 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

Jerry

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 08:49:38 PM »
Hi Paul

Heres a couple pictures if they work?

This lst one is a solid steel armature. The side walls are 1/4" plexi.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 08:49:38 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 09:23:59 PM »
OH thanks Tom &Ed.

Several years ago I discovered this site thanks to Richard Perez of the Home Power Mag (thanks Richard).

It was my introduction to ac motor conversion. Back then I started a search for free  ac motors.

My sources were (and still are) plumming shops, heating & airconditioning shops, motor rewind shops ect.

I've collected around 1,000 motors FREE. I've converted many diferant types.

The easyest and most plentyfull and with very good results have been garbage disposal motors.

Reasons why. These motors are designed for intermitant use, short time on.

Also these motors have an unusually large bore for the hp rating. This larger diameter creates fast magnet speed past the coils for higher output.

They are also wound fairly loose. This permits easy seperation of coil wire ends.

Its very easy to seperate all 8 coils. 4 starts & 4 runs. Reason for coil seperation.

These are 120v motors. They have 4 run or main coils. These coils are wired in siries. This means each coil is a 30 volt coil. If we were taliking about a 1 hp motor its is rated at 10 amps. BTW 10 amps X 120v = 1200 watts.

We know each coil is a 10 amp coil. If we perelelled all the run coils the motor would be a 30 volt 40 amp motor. BTW 30v X 40 amps = 1200 watts.

In terms of useing the motor as a PMA 30 volt is closer to 12v and 40 amps is better than 10 amps. Problem is we would need to spin the motor faster than the expected blade rpm to work well as a wind genny. So we do a comprimize and do a siries perelell combination on the coils.

This can also be done on the start windings. Since they are out of phase with the runs they must have there own and seperate fullwave bridge rectifier.

Then end result is a two phase pma. This further reduces rpm requierments.

Most motors are baked in varnish and dificult to work with. Not so garbage disposal motors.

BTW the 1 hp are extreamly rare. There are many 1/2, 1/3, 5/8 and 3/4 hp. the higher the hp the higher the power.

Wind test data on a 1/2HP.

5 mph 2 amps, 10 mph 5 amps, 15 mph 8 amps, 20 mph 12 amps, 25 mph 23 amps, 30 mph 26 amps

A 1/3 hp would be slightly less.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 09:23:59 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 09:44:09 PM »
Paul your motor has bushings. To make a successfull genny bearings are a good idea. It will help reduce cogging and last much longer.

If you could find end caps from another motor with bearings or build new end caps of plywood and insert your own bearings. This works very well just weatherize the plywood.

If you could locate some curved NEOs the end result would be surprizing for such a small unit.

If any one is Intrested I will sell garbage disposal stators, cans, uncut armatures and plywood end caps at $10 each plus COD and shipping.  What I'm saying is you get the stator in its motor can two plywood endcaps and a unmodifide armature for $10. I have many. The armatures are from furnace blower motors. They have good shaft lingths the original armatures do not. Also these armatures are of smaller diameter so less maching is requiered.

Bearings are cheap. This small size can be found at many hardware stores. I think even Lowes has a few sizes?

To build your owm pma for use as a wind genny  you will supply bearings and

retainers, magnets, rectifires this site has those.

I'll give any pionters needed along the way.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 09:44:09 PM by Jerry »

Gary D

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 06:06:46 AM »
Steve, I think Tom W. put it best about volts open circuit a few posts back. When checking only v.o.c., you need to take into account wire size also.  100 turns of 28 guage wire and 100 turns of 14 guage wire may very well both give the same v.o.c. if the air gap is the same. However, when you put a load ie. a battery bank or resistor, the results will be dramatic in amps available to actually do work( or charge).

A simple example, not related to power, more like current. If you try to siphon a swimming pool with a straw(or 1/8" pipe) with a 100 ft. drop versus a 3/4" garden hose with the same drop, the ammount of water coming out of each will be dramatic. Not sure if this helps... your village idiot. Gary D.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 06:06:46 AM by Gary D »