Author Topic: Twisted wirings?  (Read 760 times)

dunkel

Twisted wirings?
« on: August 07, 2005, 09:59:41 AM »
Hello, two questions!

1)How are the wirings done from the wind mill generator down to the grownd so that they will not get twisted? I mean when the mill is turning in the wind?

2) How is the reply on this discussion board done?

Dunkel

« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 09:59:41 AM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: Twisted wirings?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 04:52:08 AM »
The wind at most sites does a bit of back-and-forth but it doesn't usually go all the way around in a circle very often.

Do you get a lot of dust devils?  (If one goes over the mill it might crank around a couple times.)

So put a locking plug at the bottom of the mill and a little slack in the drop wire.  Check it every few months.  Unplug and untwist it (on a CALM day) if it's getting seriously wound up.  (Or skip the plug, lasso the tail, and walk the mill around until it's untwisted.)

If you want to untwist it on a windy day you need a shorting arrangement to keep the mill from running away while unloaded or a manual furling mechanism.

The wind does a bit of back-and-forth.  But unless you're in a very turbulent area it doesn't usually go all the way around in a circle very often.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 04:52:08 AM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 05:11:36 AM »

Also is prevailing winds and stops at a place that would prevent the unit from making a 360 .That may not be workable in 100% of situations but in most cases the useable winds come from a certain direction.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 05:11:36 AM by tecker »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 08:33:25 AM »
"2) How is the reply on this discussion board done?"

On the original story (at the bottom of it), click on "Post a Comment"

To reply to someone elses comment click on "Reply to this" at the bottom of a comment.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 08:33:25 AM by RP »

dunkel

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 12:05:30 PM »
Thanks for all the answers, I thought it was something like that.

I just moved to a new place, a lot of space, enough with wind and for some odd reason quite many power black outs (?), too. Now I got inspired of building some wind mills - thanks to the great sites.

The plan is to first build up a couple small experimental mills and then move up to some bigger one. Looks good so far (when I'm still on the planning level, hah haa).

Dunkel

ps. thanks for the reply tip, too. For some reason I couldn't find it on my other posting.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 12:05:30 PM by dunkel »