Author Topic: Diversion loads for Wind turbine  (Read 1842 times)

Shadow

Diversion loads for Wind turbine
« on: October 03, 2005, 05:47:45 PM »
If this link works, Are these ok for load diversions to hot water elements?Looking for opions before ordering... Thanks   http://www.hydrogenappliances.com/batteryregulator.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 05:47:45 PM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Looking at used cars, horses or tools
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 02:41:51 PM »
If I were looking for a horse, car or tool, I might look at the reputation of the seller.  If the seller was known for honest opinions, good support and quality products I would purchase from them.

If the reputation was the opposite.  If there were of wild claims and questionable truths, I would be relcutant to send money to them.  

However, even a man that will claim his plow horse will out-run a throbred just might ahve a good plow behing the barn.  The junk car salesman whose cars 'run like a new one' might have a few good tires that will fit your need.  Damn sure want to look at that plow or the tires from that fellow before purchase.

I would be a lot easier to deal with honest folks and let these folks run out of customers.  But, then the 'used car dealer' would get a good reputation and you wouldn't be selling that horse to the dog food plant next year.

Ron

« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 02:41:51 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

richhagen

Re: Diversion loads for Wind turbine
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 03:27:40 PM »
It looks to me like it is a relay capable of handling 50amps of current that closes when the voltage is above a certain point.  I didn't notice any voltage set point adjustment, or any way of adjusting the hysteresis.  If you have an automotive relay, you could build something similar with an op amp and a fet to turn on the relay or relays when the voltage is high enough.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/Comparators.html

If the device fails, your batteries will get the extra energy though.  Rich
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 03:27:40 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Shadow

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 04:27:08 PM »
It does state it dumps at 56 volts(for 48 volt system) and shuts off at 50 volts. Those settings can be changed by adding resistors. But If I understand charge controllers properly, Don't most of them now have a dump load feature? Maybe I should just be looking for the right charge controller..
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 04:27:08 PM by Shadow »

Nando

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 09:01:36 PM »
Shadow:

Do not use those "regulators" --- garbage !!

Nando

« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 09:01:36 PM by Nando »

Nando

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 09:03:29 PM »
Shadow:

Better it would be if you describe your needs and what you are doing and what you need to do to have your system assembled well .

Nando

« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 09:03:29 PM by Nando »

Experimental

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 10:00:13 AM »
     Hi shadow,

Go to Hugh Piggot site (scouraig wind) and look at his dump load controller plans, that are offered free..

they are adjustable, and i built three of them, for about $50 -- they also use two relays -- one can be used to dump loads into a heater, Etc -- the other can be used to shut down the mill..

I can,t testafy as to the reliability -- but you can email Hugh, and ask...Bill H..
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 10:00:13 AM by Experimental »

georgeodjungle

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 11:36:49 AM »
it works for us with no problems.

i put an led on the relay to tell me when it's dumping.

there's other places to buy-em.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 11:36:49 AM by georgeodjungle »

Jrmobb

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 06:09:59 PM »
I don't really think i would trust that site, everything they sell seems like lies. there so called wind turban that makes power at a wind speed of 2mph. I don't know never dealt with them so i cant say but allot of it just looks fishy.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 06:09:59 PM by jrmobb »

Jrmobb

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 06:14:21 PM »
Also they say aluminum is a good fuel source!!!! Don't they know that it extremely bad to breath, it gives you Alzheimer's and  jacks you up.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 06:14:21 PM by jrmobb »

steak2k1

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 06:47:27 PM »
Aluminum as fuel source.?  Cheap drugs methinks. That web site looks too unprofessional and a copy of an e-bay auction ... plenty of scammers there in all sorts of endeavours.!

Best bet (so far), that I know short of building one is a Xantrex/Trace C40.  Seen a couple on Flee-bay for $ 130. USD.  In Canada they seem to avg. around the 180-220 CAD price-new.

Also Jerry that makes some real nice Blades has some dump load/controllers as well. Avail on his site.

http://www.tlgwindpower.com/default.htm  (I hope I got that right Jerry)

rgds,

stk

« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 06:47:27 PM by steak2k1 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 12:31:43 AM »
I don't think thats quite right.

Try this one...

http://www.dplusv.com/Photo-03.html

Lots and lots of quick of thumbnails.  But it sure is worth any wait.

G-

« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 12:31:43 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

maker of toys

Re: Aluminum 'Fuel'?
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 01:50:12 PM »
Fuel is probably a misnomer.

Aluminum can be used as a consumable anode/cathode in a non-reversable electrochemical cell.  As such, you could call it a 'fuel' of sorts, but you're not actually burning it to produce heat, but oxidizing it to make an electric current.

if you want to try it for yourself, get a biggish piece of copper pipe, polish it until it's pink, then scrape the paint off a soda/beer can.  immerse both metals in a strong salt-water solution, and measure the electric potential between them. . . . if you line a few of these cells up in series, you can light a couple of red LEDs with them.

you can do the same thing with copper wire and galvanized nails. . . you'll get a little higher voltage, but current and duration is much less because there isnt much surface area or zinc available.  (used hot-dipped nails for longer duration)

there are better metal pairs and better electrolytes, but for the backyard experimentor or a elementry school science project, the method outlined above will be sufficient.

alkaline D-cells are much more convienient. . .

-Dan

« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 01:50:12 PM by maker of toys »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: Aluminum 'Fuel'?
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 01:46:55 PM »
Actually you can get a LOT of power out of an aluminum-air battery.

(Sorry, don't know the details of building one.  Like zinc-air you're using oxygen from the air to accept electrons from the metal in a way that's non-destructive to the rest of the components, while converting the metal to its oxide.)

Aluminum is light AND aluminum oxide has the HIGHEST heat-of-formation of any compound.  (It's why thermite is so energetic:  The aluminum steals the oxygen from the iron, leaving elemental iron behind plus more than enough energy for the iron to be white-hot molten.)  So you can both get a lot of power from a small weight battery and get it fast.

As a result, Detroit has played around with aluminum-air battery powered cars.  Shovel out the bauxite every few hundred miles, replace some big electrodes every few thousand miles.

But it's really a roundabout storage battery.  The way you get the aluminum in the first place is by electrolyzing aluminum oxide - again at molten temparatures - using grid power.  Aluminum reduction plants are the largest single-plant consumers of grid power in existence.

Unfortunately, it's not the most efficient storage battery in the world (what with all the molten-aluminum steps between charging and discharging).  So the cost isn't practical.  And aluminum compounds are 'way toxic.  (You get away with aluminum cans because the foods chosen to go in them don't react enough to get a lot of aluminum into YOU.  But don't EVER cook something strongly acidic in an aluminum pan...)

If you have a lot of aluminum cans lying about, your recycler doesn't pay for the metal, and you have somewhere to dump bauxite, you might consider making electrodes out of them and getting back the power that went into making them.  But both the smelting and the disposal of the waste give you major exposure to aluminum if you're not careful, and aluminum poisoning is permanent and has symptoms much like alzheimer's disease.

(It's also the "dialysys disease" that limited the length of time people could be on the early artificial kidneys, until they figured out that the aluminum tub in the machine was poisoning the patients and switched to something else - stainless, I think.)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 01:46:55 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

spinner

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 08:37:12 AM »
any chance you can build one for me? I am without experience in building solid state circuitry like this

spinner
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 08:37:12 AM by spinner »