Author Topic: A new way to make magnet rotors quickly.  (Read 5577 times)

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
A new way to make magnet rotors quickly.
« on: January 29, 2008, 12:59:53 AM »

This is Merlin - George's dog.  He's a lot like George actually.

Seamus had a brilliant new idea about how to make templates for placing magnets around steel rotors.  We only had 10 inch diameter tortillas - they work pretty well but better is to find 12 inch diameter tortillas.

First fold the tortilla in half.

Then fold it into quarters.

Then fold one side over 1/3 of the way.  (we're shooting for 12 layers here)

There we go - all correctly folded for precision placement of 12 magnets around the rotor.

Seamus showing how the end of the folded tortilla should look.

Take a bite out of it - shooting for a curve of 1 inch radius (for 2" diameter magnets to fit in).  It's best if you 'center' the bite as best you can.

Then bite a hole in the middle (so that the diameter will be about 2.75 inches - this will help you center it on the magnet rotor)

Seamus stands proudly with his new magnet template.

Center the tortilla on the magnet rotor.

Carefully fit the magnets into the notches.

Not perfect... but probably workable.  You could save money this way... we sell 'perfect' templates on our shopping cart for about 30 bucks.  You could easily make one of these (or buy one from Seamus for about $5) and I'm sure it would work fine.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:59:53 AM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
Re: A new way to make magnet rotors quickly.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 07:58:47 PM »
haha

Thanks Dan :-)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 07:58:47 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:07:23 PM »
You need some meat and tomato sauce in there with the magnets
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:07:23 PM by wooferhound »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 09:18:14 PM »
Building Rotors is hard work, make sure Seamus gets enough IRON in his diet. If the dump load heats water, you can circulate the warm water with a TACO pump. If there's not much wind, you can keep the battery topped off using VEGETABLE OIL in a Listeroid.

"In general, my children refuse to eat anything that hasn't danced on TV." -Erma Bombeck.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:18:14 PM by spinningmagnets »

richhagen

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 10:20:55 PM »
See, now, my secret way of lining up the magnets is snow flakes.  Everyone knows that all snowflakes have six sides or points.  You just line up two snow flakes overlaping so that there is equal space between the points, and center them on a very cold steel disk.  That way you can extrapolate out the lines for 12 evenly spaced points along the perimeter.  Remember though, you have to get the steel plate really cold, otherwise there isn't time to line everything up before the flakes turn into a drop of water.  For a 16/12 arrangement, you could ask your local municipal government if you could borrow a couple of extra stop signs for a while so you could accomplish the same thing.  Just remember to line up the signs behind the disk this time, set the disk on top and draw the lines between the points.   Rich
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 10:20:55 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

kitestrings

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 10:40:30 PM »
Cool.  For your dual-rotor designs I'd think it only appropriate that Seamus have two templates.  Cheese with ATH (All The Hearty veggies) makes a good adhesive I'm told.

But what to use for a release agent?  Perhaps a carbonated beverage would work (lot's of trial needed)?

-kitestrings

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 10:40:30 PM by kitestrings »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 05:03:27 AM »
Very creative tortilla munching there. I see serious flaws in the jig  . Or should I say flaws in the gnaws  but the turkeys got his merit badge for tortilla folding . Hmm turdukin burrito .I tried  turdukin but  it turned out more like fowl stuff than stuffed fowl .All that grease caught fire and I had to break out the Co2 . I need a class in getting the fire right . Too many cervasas for the cook .Witch came first the chicken or the turkey .  
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 05:03:27 AM by tecker »

jmk

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 10:16:08 AM »
 Then you would have to change it from dual rotor to double decker.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 10:16:08 AM by jmk »