Author Topic: Help in Michigan - Wind Turbine  (Read 781 times)

JohnnyF

Help in Michigan - Wind Turbine
« on: December 22, 2005, 04:38:44 AM »
Howdy All:

I am just getting started in this arena and I am going to start out supplying power for my shop lights in the garage.  So my power needs are small to begin with.

What really got me started was that I found out I could get used batteries from where I work.  Most of the time they are 55AH or 32AH batteries that are about 1 year old.  So at the moment I have six 55AH and four 32AH Gell Cell, 12V batteries.  I have read a lot on this site and it doesn't appear I will really have much problem putting these different size batteries in parallel.  The batteries are free, so why not use them!  Now I just need a way to recharge them.

At the moment I have an 800 watt inverter, a small 6 watt solar panel and a bunch of other supplies.  I can get all this going but what I really need is someone in my area that is familiar with building their own wind turbine.

So I am looking for someone, within a reasonable distance, that would be willing to show me what they have done and give me some pointers on putting one together.

To start out with I would like to make something in the 4 or 5 foot diameter range.  I am also not sure what I can get away with in my area so I will start with something that won't be that high or obvious.  I live on the top of a nice sloping hill with an unobstructed view to the west.  So I get some pretty good wind up here.

I live in Swartz Creek Michigan, just west of Flint.

If anyone would like to share some of their knowledge, please drop me an e-mail.

headchef AT thebar-b-que DOT us

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 04:38:44 AM by (unknown) »

JohnnyF

Re: Help in Michigan - Wind Turbine
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 08:10:10 AM »
Just a follow-up, I did order both of Hugh's books today from this site and from what everyone says, this should give me a good start in learning what I need to know.

I would still be interested in communicating with others in my area if there is any interest.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

John

Swartz Creek, MI

« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 08:10:10 AM by JohnnyF »

Gordy

Re: Help in Michigan - Wind Turbine
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 11:16:09 AM »
John,

I'm in MN so to far away to help directly. But I found this site http://eduhosting.org/wgss/index.html It's an interesting site. He sells a Amtek PM motor for $5.00 plus S&H and offers blades and hubs. Check out Current specials at the bottom of that page he has a combo offer that does'nt seem to bad. If you want to get something up quick.

Other wise goto the top of this page and click on Other Power logo, scroll down that page and check out the projects that others have done.

Click away and have fun,

Gordy

« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 11:16:09 AM by Gordy »