Author Topic: Solid vs Stranded Magnet Wire?  (Read 1837 times)

Clifford

Solid vs Stranded Magnet Wire?
« on: February 17, 2006, 06:41:30 AM »
I've had an old (no functional) Amber monitor laying down in my basement for quite some time so I decided to tear it apart last weekend.

There were 4 coils around the picture tube.  2 inner coils, and 2 outer coils.  All were made with stranded magnet wire. The inner coils had a relatively tight twist in the strands while the outer ones were essentially not twisted.

The coils came out cleanly, although I am concerned that unwrapping them could damage the insulation.

But..  the question.

Would there be any cost/benefit changes by using fine stranded magnet wire in the coils?  Presumably one would effectively have 10 times as many turns, all wired in parallel by design.

Any ideas for the Tube?  I'm still wondering if they Implode  :)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 06:41:30 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Solid vs Stranded Magnet Wire?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 01:11:34 AM »
Above a critical frequency there is an advantage to using stranded (litz) wire.

The monitor line frequency is above 10kHz and at that frequency even quite small wire will have losses mostly due to skin effect and partly due to eddy currents.

At the very low frequencies of wind alternators you can forget skin effect and you only need to think about eddy loss in wires when they become too thick to comfortably handle. For normal use there is no advantage and when people wind several wires in hand it is mainly for the convenience of winding thinner wire or to use a size of wire available.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 01:11:34 AM by Flux »