Author Topic: update on coil troubles  (Read 813 times)

solarengineer

update on coil troubles
« on: April 30, 2006, 01:23:08 PM »
Hi everyone, I posted a few days ago under coil troubles.

I have put together the assembly with dual rotors. As flux had mentioned i may get a 3 fold increase in power with the second rotor and shurely I did!

Its now putting out 25 volts @ 500rpm. the cutin for 13.5 happens around 120-150 rpm.

The maximum current im getting even on a short is 2.3-2.5 amps.

This must be because of my toy magnets. .7inch by .11inch thick. It has surved its purpose as a training tool and now im ready to wind my 9.9 X 10^99 watt machine!!

just kidding!!!

For something like that i would have to use a manhole cover as a rotor LOL.

Thank you all for baby stepping me in the right direction, it feels awesome to sit back and say "I have the knowledge to provide own utilities for the rest of my life!"

I do have one question on plades. I made a set of blades that are 23inches long per blade, so that should be a diameter of 46 inches. each blade is 3inches wide at the hub and half an inch thick at the hub, and 2 inches wide at the tip..... and .25 inches thick.

they should have a tsr of about 5.5 based on hughs plans. my first set of blades too so who knows mabe just a rotating club. i hope they work, can someone tell me if these blades sound sufficient for this alternator?

thanks for all the help.

I found making wind powered paint shakers really easy, it's the smooth ones that are hard. :-)

jamie

« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 01:23:08 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: update on coil troubles
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 07:46:48 AM »
Nice to hear that you have got results.

Unfortunately your cut in speed is now too low for those blades. It would work nicely at 24v but if you want to keep to 12v you will have fun.

If you have brought the star point out then you can reconnect to delta or perhaps better still rectify each phase with its own bridge ( look up jerry rig).

If you can't get at the star point you will have to increase the air gap but it will seriously limit the output current in higher winds.

Flux

« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 07:46:48 AM by Flux »

solarengineer

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 04:29:34 PM »
Thanks for the help Flux! I will wire in delta and see what happens.. we get very low wind here. I'm in Canada about 5 minutes from niagara falls. usually 10-15kph is what we get. do you think it would be ok to keep the star configuration and connect it to my 12v battery anyway? and then use a diversion load after the bank hits 14.5v?

thanks again for the help Eh!! :o)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 04:29:34 PM by solarengineer »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 12:17:27 AM »
No. the diversion controller will only prevent battery overcharge. The problem you will have in star is that you will hit cut in speed before your prop is running fast enough to get out of stall.

It will no doubt produce something but not much and it will not increase with wind speed as it should.

If it is convenient to do it, you would learn a lot by trying and then trying it at 24v to see the difference. The delta connection will let it run faster, but it will still be a bit slow and you may still need to open the gap a bit.

Flux

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 12:17:27 AM by Flux »

solarengineer

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 09:05:07 AM »
Thats great Flux! Thank you again for all the help!!!!

Jamie

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 09:05:07 AM by solarengineer »