Author Topic: In need of some information.  (Read 845 times)

atfqn

In need of some information.
« on: July 19, 2006, 02:30:24 AM »
Good evening everyone, I have spent some time trolling to boards as well as reading the faqs, I have visited links that people have posted in their responses as well as in their signatures.  Yet I am still at a loss.  I understand the basic mechanics of implementing solar/wind yet I still have some questions that are hindering implementation that I am hoping someone might be able to answer.

First and foremost are there any other qualitatively complete faqs available to people new to this, especially component breakdowns and popular options. While there are a multitude of writings I have not been able to find a complete step-by-step walk through. Again I follow the basic electronics behind this but I am by no means a scholar on the subject so any information is appreciated.

Has there been a consensus reached on the best/most efficient/cost effective manufacturer of inverters, trickle chargers. There seems to be varying opinions which is to be expected but there must be a best bet (I want to make purchases once - while I understand things break I am not afraid to spend the right amount for the right product.) The same goes for pre-manufactured wind turbines. While I am not necessarily sold on this, I know several interested parties who will not take my advice on building their own systems. Any advice?  So far the only manufacturer that hasn't garnered any negative comments is Bergey.

Finally, how does one connect several solar panels (~300watt) as well as a ~800 watt wind system to an already grid connected system. I follow the need for a battery charger (though would appreciate recommendations - currently looking at tristar and xantrex 60 amp systems) as well as an inverter (looking at xantrex 2000 watt min 3000 watt max system.)  I am primarily concerned without making a huge leap into a cost prohibitive backwoods system how it is possible to use on grid power but also renewable energy systems simultaneously. Of course cost is always a limiting factor as I am in college and continually questioning my logic behind this pursuit. I digress; I will spend what is needed to design the most efficient system possible.

Throughout my research I have not been able to find an answer to these questions.  So far this has been the best site for homebrew systems and I was hoping you guys/gals might have some suggestions.  Again, I apologize for my lack of familiarity with these systems and if these questions have been answered then I have been remiss in my searches.  But any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

As a side note the expected usage is 2.2 kw an hour .  I know such a system as listed above cannot support this but I would like to try and limit my reliance on grid systems.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 02:30:24 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: In need of some information.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 09:36:53 PM »
One of the real problems every installation is custom. Each needs a cetrtain power requirement and has certain constraits such as wind, location, climate and other things.

Homepower magazine has a lot of information (or they did) that will help you start on building a plan. This plan will evolve as you learn.

The inverter companies cover the grid tie stuffs.

Imagine a cook's face when you tell then the dinner has changed and no longer will you have shrimp but have decided on beef. Then change to chicken or maybe pork while they are gathering the spices and vegtables for the meal. You will learn a lot about the cook doing this and probably end up cooking yourself.

Your figures indicate 1600kWh/mo. You will find it is a lot easier and cheaper to conserve than use RE.

Ron

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 09:36:53 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

atfqn

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 09:51:31 PM »
I personally am following conservation methods.  Unfortunately I cannot change over to 12v systems so I need to use the existing systems. The only thing that seems reliable is the change over to efficient lighting and entertainment systems. Truth be told I have implemented this in my current location.  I am trying to build this system for my parents. So beyond recommending electricity savings are there any direct answers to my questions? Keep the thoughts coming they are definitely positive.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 09:51:31 PM by atfqn »

Stonebrain

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 03:31:38 AM »
Hi atfqn,

Some ideas for conservative "entertainment systems":

Try things like painting or gardening.

But the best of all entertainment systems:building RE devices.

Often this system can give back more power then you put in them.

cheers,

stonebrain

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 03:31:38 AM by Stonebrain »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 06:35:48 AM »
How are you washing and dryring clothes? How are you heating water? How are you keeping food cold? How are you cooking the food? How are you heating and cooling this place? What type of computer and internet connection are you using?

These are all areas in which conservation is possible.

With the numbers you have given us so far (300W solar, 800W wind), I can make a WAG that you might make 3-5kw/DAY. This is less than 10% of your stated energy requirements. Now, if you have $100,000-$150,000 to spend, I think I can come up with some ideas, name some inverters, solar panels and wind turbines that would meet your stated energy requirements. The other option is conservation.

Now you could build a small scale RE system with the components you have listed and run a few small loads off them. Several people on this board have done exactly that. But tying to the grid is a difficult process, filled with regulations, inspections and paperwork.

Lastly, building an RE system for your parents might not be such a good idea, These systems require a certain amount of monitoring, tweaking, and maintinance. It takes a bit of dedication to keep one running properly, it's not like a car where you hand somebody the keys and off they go.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 06:35:48 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.