Author Topic: Newbie with 8' 800watt about ready to fly  (Read 838 times)

pennsymtguy

Newbie with 8' 800watt about ready to fly
« on: September 03, 2006, 10:14:06 PM »
Hello All, Been lurking here for a couple of months and have really enjoyed the site. I believe some of you guys would give NASA scientists a run for their money! I recently purchased a gen kit from Ed of windpower and have enjoyed putting this project together. It has been quite a learning experience and now it is almost ready to go up. Waiting on an inverter/charger before I lift the tower. I have run the tower up a couple of times though. This is exciting stuff, although can be expensive when you consider the entire project. The best deal, besides a few steals off ebay, was the gen itself from Ed. He has been one great gentleman and all the support I needed. I am going to attempt to upload some pics, hopefully that will work. Any comments, questions, or criticizm is surely welcome. I am already thinking about putting up a larger one, maybe a Hugh designed 1500 watt someday, but for now, I am soon going to enjoy seeing this one whirl. My deep appreciation for all you guys who share and teach on this site. I am showing a tower rigging I came up with, as I think it may have some interest. I purchased the pipe at a scrap yard, 2 lengths of 3 1/2" sections with flanges, 45' long. I found a good use for the flanges, since they were not only very strong, but drilled at 90 degrees for my cables. The chains were purchased just as you see them, 3 links and extra wide for easy insertion of 1/2" grade 8 bolts. The chains are available through farm supply places and used for hanging stanchions.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 10:14:06 PM by (unknown) »

commanda

Re: Newbie with 8' 800watt about ready to fly
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 06:13:29 PM »
Hi,

It would really help if you left the file extension (.jpg) on when you upload your pictures.

Firefox running on Linux thinks it's a binary file and wants to download it; so I can't easily look at your pictures.

Amanda

« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 06:13:29 PM by commanda »

stephent

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 10:28:34 PM »
Ditto for me too here....Firefox and FC Linux don't think they are pics.

But it's a nice enough pole/tower, and battery building.

Watch the chain links for wearing (inside loops) over the course of a few years though.

Nice wide open location for the genny!

« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 10:28:34 PM by stephent »

maker of toys

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 01:16:47 AM »
I too had problems viewing the files. . . and I'm running a somewhat more 'conventional' setup with a wintel laptop. . . are you perchance running a MAC?  if so, you'll need to supply extensions for us that have OSs that harken back to the command line days. (macs keep track of what file goes with what application differently than other OSs)

-Dan

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 01:16:47 AM by maker of toys »