Author Topic: New job means access to a workshop!  (Read 926 times)

froggie

New job means access to a workshop!
« on: February 02, 2008, 09:25:16 PM »
Until recently, my biggest holdup in making anything that spins in the wind was not having my own workshop. I had wonderful ideas but no real way of making them up.

My old high school advertised for a Network Manager, I applied and got it! I've been in the job now for about 6 months and I'm good friends with the technicians in the design and technology department. I mentioned in conversation to the chap who was in one day about how I'd got a stepper motor from a printer and would love to make some blades for it as a wind turbine. No sooner had I finished describing what I'd been after than he'd turned on the band saw, cut up some plastic, got out the heater bar and started forming some small blades!

I am very much looking forward to this. I've seen spools of magnet wire in the office already... We've got one turbine on the roof of the school and around 4kW of solar panels on the roof. Putting up another turbine that we made ourselves would be ace and I'm hoping to go that way if I can.

For someone who's not built any wind generator before, what would be a good first step. Full size blades, alternator or... something else? I want to build something that's effectively just "proof of concept" first of all, if it only lights up some LEDs and gets the 10-14 year old kids thinking about renewable power, it'll still be very worthwhile.

I'm already famous in the school for running my car on sunflower oil. It'd be great to put up a turbine built in the school too.

froggie

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 09:25:16 PM by (unknown) »

fungus

Re: New job means access to a workshop!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 02:54:12 PM »
Nice one - I've got a similar situation but as a student which is pretty good - can do my stuff at lunchtime :)

I've made motor conversions using the lathes there, a small one could be a nice idea?

A stepper motor with a properly designed frame and aesthetically pleasing could be nice too, all solidly built etc.

Or even a small vawt? .. the possibilities are endless :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 02:54:12 PM by fungus »

fungus

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 02:55:43 PM »
Forgot to add this .. ' I've seen spools of magnet wire in the office already' - sure its not MIG welder wire?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 02:55:43 PM by fungus »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 07:18:51 PM »
The format of Hugh Piggot's wind turbine projects lends itself well to the educational / classroom experience.  Plus it will do much more than light up LED's.  He has a website: www.scoraigwind.com

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 07:18:51 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

froggie

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 02:14:37 AM »
Now that's a good idea... I'd sort of ignored his plans for a while because they were so grand and required so much machine tooling. Well within range now!

And you're right, I'd not realized, there's a MIG welder in there so chances are the spools of wire are actually for that. D'oh.

We were discussing VAWTs and certainly could make one of those. I think they look nice and the fact they don't mind gusty winds would help - I don't have the necessary licensing to go up on the roof so it'd have be low mounted.

Photos to follow as soon as production starts!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 02:14:37 AM by froggie »